• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Interlock on car because of NM law, but moving to Colorado

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

heaberski

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Mexico and Colorado

Hello,

Five years ago I made a bad decision and got a DUI in Arizona. I paid my fines, served my time and got my regular license back. Since then I haven't had any traffic citations.

I recently moved to New Mexico because of my wife's job and was required to get a NM License in November for my work. Due to NM law, regardless of when you had your DUI, I was forced to have an interlock installed in my car and a restricted license.

Unfortunately, my wife has now gotten a job in Colorado and we have to move up there in 2 weeks. I went to the Colorado DMV to see if I would be able to get my interlock removed and have a standard license, since I won't be living in NM anymore, and won't have to comply by their laws. The Colorado DMV said there was a hold on my license, and NM has to release it, in order for me to get a normal license. I called the NM MVD and they said I have to full-fill my one-year requirement.

This situation doesn't seem to make any sense. I have paid my dues in Arizona, I respected New Mexico's DUI laws, but it doesn't make sense that I have to continue to have an interlock if I'm not living in NM anymore. Since I am moving to Colorado, I am required to get a Colorado license in 30 days, which would make it breaking the law. This also makes me very nervous, because the type of work I am in would require me to get a Colorado State License, which I can't get until November.

If anyone has any advice on who I can speak with, or how I can get this issue resolved please let me know ASAP. This is a very frustrating situation, and I don't know where to start in fighting this unethical situation.

Thank You.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">