• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

interlock device and lung capacity

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aristocatkitty

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I had an interlock device installed in my car today. When it came time to test and blow to get ready to leave the shop, the device kept on giving me a "insufficient sample" reading. I tried it several times, at least a dozen, using different techniques... slow and even, forceful, but by the end of the ordeal I was freaking out. It would not work!

We called the supplier and all of us three decided to let the mechanic try. His first try didn't take. (He blew too hard). I went over and over the instructions with the lady on the phone, "breathe like you're blowing out candles; breathe like you're trying to make bubbles through a soda straw". Slow and steady, not forceful, etc., etc. There was no success!

I had the guy blow in order to get me out of his service bay and get home. It's on record the fails. And also on record the five minutes of beeping failures I received on my way home. Now parked in front of my house, dead as a doornail.

They've ordered me a new one, due in a couple of days, Never mind I need help with a big blow to get me over there, but honestly, what happens if this second one doesn't work? This is a disaster! I really don't have enough air to blow. I inhale deep and exhaust until there's nothing left except a deep lung whistle.

Since my next trip is to hand the document to the DMV, has anyone ever heard of a case where the DMV will give me a pass because of this? After all this wasted time and money? I can't imagine being stuck somewhere.

Ladyback1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I had an interlock device installed in my car today. When it came time to test and blow to get ready to leave the shop, the device kept on giving me a "insufficient sample" reading. I tried it several times, at least a dozen, using different techniques... slow and even, forceful, but by the end of the ordeal I was freaking out. It would not work!

We called the supplier and all of us three decided to let the mechanic try. His first try didn't take. (He blew too hard). I went over and over the instructions with the lady on the phone, "breathe like you're blowing out candles; breathe like you're trying to make bubbles through a soda straw". Slow and steady, not forceful, etc., etc. There was no success!

I had the guy blow in order to get me out of his service bay and get home. It's on record the fails. And also on record the five minutes of beeping failures I received on my way home. Now parked in front of my house, dead as a doornail.

They've ordered me a new one, due in a couple of days, Never mind I need help with a big blow to get me over there, but honestly, what happens if this second one doesn't work? This is a disaster! I really don't have enough air to blow. I inhale deep and exhaust until there's nothing left except a deep lung whistle.

Since my next trip is to hand the document to the DMV, has anyone ever heard of a case where the DMV will give me a pass because of this? After all this wasted time and money? I can't imagine being stuck somewhere.

First you need to wait for the new one. There truly could be an issue with the particular one that you received.

Second, I can't imagine that any DMV is just going to give you a "pass" after two tries--Unless you can present actual, factual, medical documentation that you have some sort of disease or illness that impacts your lung capacity. Preferably a long standing history (you know a couple of years before you got your DUI...) from a medical provider.

Looks like you may need to invest in a good bicycle! (plus think of the exercise you'll get that will increase your lung capacity)

TigerD

If by give you a pass you mean not revoke your probation or license after you provide proof of the incident, yeah, I think that is likely. If by give you a pass you mean not require to have the interlock to drive - not a chance.

TD

aristocatkitty

Well then, thanks for your supportive ideas. Yes, I have ordered a new device (did so on the spot before I even left the shop). How I'm getting the vehicle there is another matter.
I need to turn in that form the shop gave me for the DMV to even consider giving me a restricted license, with a couple of fees. THEN after that I am required to have the device for five months before my permanent license will be issued.

It looks like my get around is this: Get Uber over here to take me to the DMV and get the new device installed. Whether the second one works or not is a crap shoot and I will deal with that when the time comes in a couple of days. In the meantime, I'll have to continue to do what I need to do.

Hilairous, and good idea, a recumbent tricycle for $1500. Yeah, right. I can't even climb the city bus steps, were I to consider that route. I was asking you guys if maybe the DMV super would have a heart after I hand in my receipt when I say it does not work for me. I'm dreaming. Heartless *******s. My infraction didn't even involve alcohol.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Well then, thanks for your supportive ideas. Yes, I have ordered a new device (did so on the spot before I even left the shop). How I'm getting the vehicle there is another matter.
I need to turn in that form the shop gave me for the DMV to even consider giving me a restricted license, with a couple of fees. THEN after that I am required to have the device for five months before my permanent license will be issued.

It looks like my get around is this: Get Uber over here to take me to the DMV and get the new device installed. Whether the second one works or not is a crap shoot and I will deal with that when the time comes in a couple of days. In the meantime, I'll have to continue to do what I need to do.

Hilairous, and good idea, a recumbent tricycle for $1500. Yeah, right. I can't even climb the city bus steps, were I to consider that route. I was asking you guys if maybe the DMV super would have a heart after I hand in my receipt when I say it does not work for me. I'm dreaming. Heartless *******s. My infraction didn't even involve alcohol.
It sounds to me like maybe you shouldn't be driving...your medical issues seem to interfere greatly in your day-to-day activities, making it unsafe to drive.

justalayman

It is fairly obvious this particular device has an issue if the installer could not get it to react properly. You are getting way ahead of yourself even considering what happens if a second unit is defective.

A tow truck works nicely to get your car back to the installer. Why you would take a non-functioning vehicle home is a puzzle to me.

And I got a pretty decent bike for under $200. Don't know why you would have to have a recumbant bike.

Last edited:

aristocatkitty

I failed to mention that the infraction was back in August 2012. I have satisfied all court requirements, classes, courses, meetings, fees. I finished them last fall. After I completed that and saw the judge where he said bubye, you're done, THAT is when I scheduled my DMV appointment. Again, last fall, and my appointment was finally available last week. So, the DMV certainly did not care that I was done done done. They still wanted to stick it to me.

justalayman

So do you have medical verification you have a defective respiratory system that would prevent you from activating the device?

aristocatkitty

It is fairly obvious this particular device has an issue if the installer could not get it to react properly. You are getting way ahead of yourself even considering what happens if a second unit is defective.

A tow truck works nicely to get your car back to the installer. Why you would take a non-functioning vehicle home is a puzzle to me.

And I got a pretty decent bike for under $200. Don't know why you would have to have a recumbant bike.
I had to get my vehicle out of his service bay.
I was not going to leave it there for several days.
I have balance issues and am fairly heavy so a tricycle is more my cup of tea. I also don't want to break any bones. I appreciate your mentioning I'm getting ahead of myself. The device worked for the installer after a second try. Still, the distributor on the phone offered to order me a new one. That is all I could do at the time. I've exhausted all the alloted AAA tows on my account until the end of this calendar year.

I'm not kidding you guys. This totally sucks. Thanks for your thoughts! At this point, I will be dropping in the DMV without appointment and suffer the wait of the entire day (I've heard from ALL my friends who deal with the nearest office, Glendale. It has a bad reputation. I've been going to Pasadena.) Wish me luck with Uber! Gotta get that ball rolling..... I see a Schwinn trike with basket and fat tires for $395 on Amazon. I just hate spending money!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">