• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

interlock violation after spicy pizza and mouthwash

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyjeff

Agreed... It would also be safe to assume that he was given some sort of instruction/warning sheet (that is specific to the unit he had installed) with regards to what may trigger it or not...

As far as I am concerned, OP blew his story up in his FIRST post with the "washed my mouth out with (what i thought was) no alcohol mouthwash but it had alcohol in it"... If I had an IID, you can bet your sweet cheeks I would know what type of mouthwash I am buying/using!
Mouthwash really wouldn't have triggered it anyway.

The OP was trying out his "top 10 excuses I want to run past the PO on Monday" on us.

Gonna be a bad week to be the OP.

dave33

If you have the means to have a ua done you should. Alcohol leaves the system fastest out of all drugs. It will very likely be clean in 2 days. The key in this situation is to avoid the actual violation paperwork from going forward. Once you are violated and are before a judge your chances decrease dramatically. goodluck.

woodykas

If you have the means to have a ua done you should. Alcohol leaves the system fastest out of all drugs. It will very likely be clean in 2 days.
EtG UA on modern equipment ? noway, up to 5 days guarantee. even more, in some cases PO will ask you to provide your hair to EtG test every month, so it is nearly impossible to hide your drinking these days ...

dave33

If you go to a hospital lab I ( me personally ) have never had alcohol come up after even 1 full day. A hair follicle test will almost never be requested if funded by the state due to cost. Besides the conditions of the o.p.'s probation is a breath test. The u.a. will be voluntary and if the results are not to his liking he under no obligation to report the results. He cannot lose by having one done.

woodykas

If you go to a hospital lab I ( me personally ) have never had alcohol come up after even 1 full day.
what do you mean ? there is no ways to pass EtG test after 1 day of consuming alcohol. you can easy pass Alcohol test, but not EtG.

dave33

Like I said it would be voluntary. I doubt it but let's say you are right. The o.p. can try the pizza story. Agreed? An etg would have to be a special order and do not believe it would be standard on a test ordered by an m.d. and not a rehab institution. The o.p. should have 48 hours or better, or maybe even put it off a day or two. Again, anything but pizza. Even if he went in to see his p.o. on tues or wed with a negative, that would be better than his current plan. No?

woodykas

Like I said it would be voluntary. I doubt it but let's say you are right. The o.p. can try the pizza story. Agreed? An etg would have to be a special order and do not believe it would be standard on a test ordered by an m.d. and not a rehab institution. The o.p. should have 48 hours or better, or maybe even put it off a day or two. Again, anything but pizza. Even if he went in to see his p.o. on tues or wed with a negative, that would be better than his current plan. No?

may be, may be. I just talking about practices used in Salt Lake County, and they do not need to make a special order for EtG, they have a testing facility right there at PO's office, so it is not a big deal to take the test onsite.

dave33

Gotcha. Well I guess it is different in every district, just something for the o.p. to consider. Nobody can know all of his circumstances better than himself. goodluck.

justalayman

Gotcha. Well I guess it is different in every district, just something for the o.p. to consider. Nobody can know all of his circumstances better than himself. goodluck.
In other areas, the PO can demand the probationer report to a testing facility immediately. Failure to do so would be accepted as a violation. Etg is good for 80 hours and is considered quite accurate. If OP intentionally ignores reporting this until after alcohol would be detectable via etg, PO is likely to be PO'd and could violate him.

OP also stated he has a smart start unit. From everything I have read from and about Smart Start, the IID's they supply are not affected by spicy foods. They address that specific question.

and if the OP was locked out, where is his car? If there are no facilities in the device for the PO to be notified of a lockout, there are definitely facilities to record the tests. If you wait for the PO to get a report sometime in the future rather than telling them now, I doubt your PO would believe much of anything you tell him/her at that point.

Thomas Howard

I really did this when I first got my IIL, in a hurry to leave for work brushed teeth followed by mouthwash and out the door blew a .02 ran back in the house three quick rinses with water and back before the unit counted down
3min blew .00 I no longer have any mouthwash in the house. Spicy food is something I really like and sometimes eat while driving never had a problem.
I have had a Intoxalock on my car for 21 months now all I can say is they work most of the time I understand completely the reason lawyers will question a breathalizers results. My first false positive i started my car .00
a few minutes later rolling retest .17 3 mins later retest .09 retest again .00
last week same thing a retest @ .01 the start test and test after were .00
When this happens I call the company and tell them what happened and they note it on my account.

jayman2011

Final CALL!

Actually my PO is pretty cool and my probation is in good standing. i think my best bet is to wait til tomorrow and tell her to avoid a possible double violation if she etg's. The mouthwash i used has 24% alcohol in it and i have heard from alot of people this well set smart start units off cause there set @ .o2 I failed to mention in my original post i brushed teeth and used mouth wash in both instances before blowing. this mouthwash is called equate and is a generic version of listerene but the labeling on back where u would think alcohol posting would be in bold letters under ACTIVE ingredients was not there. After second blow i looked more closely and saw in small print at very bottom under inactive ingredients i saw alcohol 24% I used mouthwash second time cause i though first violation was do to the spicey pizza. I watch a video and was told by installer of unit that some spicy foods with dough set this thing off. If i hadnt had drank the night before this incident i wouldnt have a problem really. I would just have reported this incident to her the next day and taken ua but since i have to hide that day i drank before,Im in a jam!

Nikkyy

Ha

You agreed to the interlock, yes? Well then what usually occurs, from what I have read in the past, is that one of four things will happen:
1) you go to jail
2) your probationary period gets extended
3) nothing, this time
4) your license is gone for 10-20 years

You clearly should not be driving; you have little understanding of the interlock device and because of this, you may as well hang up your car keys until the probationary period is over. I foresee jail for you if you do not follow the advice.
But it is up to you.

Mouthwash after pizza .. never heard of that one before... want to prove your innocence .. from what? You blew about a 0.04 ... you gonna claim its inaccurate? Good luck with that.

And no, nobody here believes your statement about mouthwash. Sorry...
I can't eat a pickle or use mouthwash before trying to start my car. Can't use certain mints and some spices also. Clearly YOU do not know how some interlock devices work. Try not to be a KNOW IT ALL, assuming you actually know what you are talking about. There are several types of interlock devices out there and they all work in there own way. Some interlock devices blow well bellow a .04. And it can definately be claimed as inaccurate. Perhaps you should do your homework before you come out so negative towards some else. And there are those of us who DO BELIEVE the statement of mouthwash. Why? Because it is an accurate statement. They even taught me that when they trained me on mine. Get you facts straight buddy if you want to run your mouth and push your opinions. And don't include the majority of others to back you up. Especially if you are wrong.

OP stated his interlock is a SmartStart device.

From their website:

Spicy food mixed with HCL in the stomach creates methane gas, which will create a false positive with a non-alcohol-specific ignition interlock device. This situation can be resolved quickly with antacids and water. However, Smart Start uses only alcohol-specific fuel-cell ignition interlock devices, so spicy food will never cause the unit to fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">