• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Interstate Compact Law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MichelleBurger

What is the name of your state? PA
1st DUI in PA in 1999, second offense (?not tried yet) in Michigan.

I heard Michigan does not belong to the interstate compact law. Does this mean his first offense won't be submitted to Michigan? What about the opposite, will Michigan submit the info to PA? Anyone ever deal with such a thing? Advice appreciated.

moburkes

What is the name of your state? PA
1st DUI in PA in 1999, second offense (?not tried yet) in Michigan.

I heard Michigan does not belong to the interstate compact law. Does this mean his first offense won't be submitted to Michigan? What about the opposite, will Michigan submit the info to PA? Anyone ever deal with such a thing? Advice appreciated.
Did you live in PA in 1999? Have you ever lived in MI? Have you moved to any other state and had a license in it since 1999?

MichelleBurger

Mo...don't be scurred by my posts...just having some fun. This is actually by b/f's case. He lives in PA...got arrested last week in MI while on business trip after totalling his truck. I always tell him to lay off the captain when driving...but stuff happens. Our court date is set for 11/19, we did hire a lawyer in MI...she is WONDERFUL...yes they are out there. I personally got taken to the cleaners by a lawyer once...so you can understand my hesitancy. I know not all are like that, but some you talk to make you feel like a number, and this one in MI has kept us totally in the loop and talks very frankly, which is something i GREATLY APPRECIATE. Straight answers and frank consequences. Ya know?? Nothing personal...just business.

quincy

Most states provide driver information to the driver's home state.

If you are a licensed Pennsylvania driver, your Pennsylvania driving record will show the DUI in Pennsylvania. When Michigan hears your Michigan DUI, they will report any conviction to Pennsylvania and you will be assessed points according to Pennsylvania's Department of Motor Vehicles code, if they consider out-of-state violations the same as in-state violations.

If you are a licensed Michigan driver, and you had a DUI in Pennsylvania, it will appear on your Michigan driving record. If the PA DUI corresponds to the Michigan DUI violation, then a conviction will be posted to your driving record and points assessed according to the Michigan Vehicle Code.

Any driver violation you incur in another state will be reported to Michigan - but if the driving violation (ticket) in this other state does not correspond to a Michigan violation, or would have been suspended had the violation occurred in Michigan, the ticket will be posted to your driving record and then suspended.

Your Michigan DUI, then, will be considered a second DUI offense on your Michigan driving record, with fines, penalties and points assessed accordingly. I am not sure how PA's DMV handles it, however, on a Pennsylvania license, but they will have a record of the DUI from Michigan.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">