• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Last questions I promise/ JIMinCA or anybody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hill4984

So JiminCa you previously stated that I still have a chance to be a border patrol agent if I get convicted with this second dui? I have an oral board on da 6th with the border patrol and just yesterday passed my written exam and not yet have sent in the background packet or the other paperwork yet. Should I state everything in this packet? Ive been going to school for 2 1/2 yrs already for criminal justice and this is what I want to be. I know I messed up real bad and currently getting help. I want to be truthful with them 100%. What do you suggest I do? Include a letter or something explaning?

seniorjudge

You need to disclose everything.

If you do not disclose everything and they find out later that you did not disclose something (however minor or seemingly insignificant), then they will fire you.

Just a thought ...

You are required to disclose everything, failure to do so will 100% guarantee you will not be hired or retained as a federal employee.

Jim_bo

I don't think I would listen to the "100% guaruntee" you see above. I have been in the Federal Government for a long time. If everyone in the Federal Government who failed to disclose 100% of their past was fired... there would be no one left!!!

A DUI does NOT affect your ability to enter federal service. It may affect your ability to join the military, but I don't think that is your goal. From my observations, the DUI would only have an effect if you were trying to get a job with a significant security clearance (i.e. a Top Secret clearance). I know many people with several DUIs that work for the Federal Government. As the others have said, don't withhold information, but don't be too worried about it either. Remember, you are applying for a Border Patrol job... not the Presidency! The Federal Government does employ people who are not angels. They compete for applicants against other State & local agencies as well as the private market. They simply cannot afford to have such lofty standards as "no DUIs". They would simply dry up their applicant pool.

I don't know if you guys have been listening to the news lately, but there is a glut of hiring being done by the Border Patrol. They have been criticized by lowering the standards too far simply so they can fill billets. Therefore, I would not be too concerned about a couple of DUIs.

Understand, my input is based on my experience with Federal Government in a non-law enforcement position. My experience is also that once you have a year under your belt, you are no longer probationary and it takes nearly an act of congress to fire you. With the glut of hiring being done by the Border Patrol, you would get a temporary clearance to get you working from day 1. After that it may take more than a year for them to even get around doing a background check (if they do one at all). Don't take that as an endorsement to withhold disclosure... just my observations.

EDIT: I just read your original thread again. You were charged recently with DUI, but not convicted?? If so, you should report what the truth is WHEN you do the paperwork... not what may be in the future. If the paperwork has asked for convictions... you have ONE. It is likely that the paperwork may ask you for arrests, but you should only disclose what has occurred. I don't see a need to withhold the truth, but there is DEFINITELY no need to add to the truth either!!!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">