• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

License

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lineman86

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
South carolina

I live in South Carolina and got a DUI in Missouri. I got the DUI dropped from a class D felony to a class B misdemeanor. I got a letter from Missouri saying my license would be suspended for 90 days and I got a letter from SC saying they would be suspended for 2 years. I've had a couple priors in SC and they are looking at it like it's my 3rd offense even though I got the charge lowered. I had an attorney in Missouri but was not pleased with his services. Do I have a case strong enough to hire another attorney in SC to look further into this to try and get my license back sooner?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
South carolina

I live in South Carolina and got a DUI in Missouri. I got the DUI dropped from a class D felony to a class B misdemeanor. I got a letter from Missouri saying my license would be suspended for 90 days and I got a letter from SC saying they would be suspended for 2 years. I've had a couple priors in SC and they are looking at it like it's my 3rd offense even though I got the charge lowered. I had an attorney in Missouri but was not pleased with his services. Do I have a case strong enough to hire another attorney in SC to look further into this to try and get my license back sooner?
How is it not your third offense? Getting the charge lowered does NOT mean that you did not receive a third offense.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
A third DUI is a third DUI - doesn't matter whether it's a misdemeanor or a felony, it's still number 3. One more and say goodbye to your license forever.

dave33

South carolina

I am not sure about your state or this situation being that it includes two different states. That being said, I would certainly hire an attorney in this situation. In many states, (my home state included) after a certain amount of time from your previous dui (often 3-5 years) they are no longer relevant. A lawyer will tell you if this is applicable to you or your situation. goodluck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">