• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

License hold in north carolina

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stoney4you

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
:(I was unable to renew my drivers license in 2008 due to a dui in north carolina in febuary 1990, 18 years after the incident in north carolina they told me at the secretary of state in Michigan I couldn't renew my license, I wasn't informed by North Carolina at any time about needing special requirements to have my driving privileges reinstated for the simple reason that I left North Carolina exactly 3 days after seeing the judge and returned home to Michigan.After driving for 17 years in Michigan and renewing my license 4 times in that span, could someone please advise me on how to correct this situation. If I'm unable to correct this situation within the next 30 days I'm going to lose my job due to being unable to perform all the duties expected of me. Also never had a North Carolina Drivers License as I was in the USMC at the time of this incident.

FlyingRon

Ain't computers great. A lot of these situations are just popping up now due to some new interstate computer cross checking.

You need to get your license reinstated in NC. The fact you left the state after being convicted means nothing. You were technically not allowed to get a Michigan license with your NC license being suspended, but in those days communications was slow to nonexistent and you slipped through the cracks.

NC isn't under any obligation to inform you of anything. Your driving rights were suspended at the time of your conviction, it's up to you to be proactive in getting them restored.

Call the NCDMV NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles and see if they can help you in what you need to do. If that doesn't work, your best bet would probably be to contact a lawyer specializing in DMV/DUI issues in the county you were convicted in and see if they can grease the wheels for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">