• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

License Suspension Notification (PA)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Taper420

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Was recently placed into ARD in PA and given the 30 day license suspension. I didn't physically have to turn in a license since I have a VA license. I turned in a $25.00 reinstatement check at the hearing.

I am wondering if anyone knows how long it might take for this notification to come through? I just don't want to get into a situation where since I didn't turn in a license, then the suspension never takes effect, then I've got a pending suspension hanging over me in PA for who knows how long.

Thanks!

heyitsme

I can't say for sure, but I was talking to someone who kind of had a similar situation....this was in CA, though. This guy had his license suspended for 30 days (he wasn't aware) and he went to the DMV to renew his license or something of that nature, and the DMV told him his license was suspended and that he had 10 days left on the suspension. So, since he had no idea about this, he never turned in a license or anything of that nature....yet, the suspension still took place. I don't think they go by whether or not you turn in a license to start the suspension. It starts when it starts. And not everyone has a license to turn in....some people may have misplaced it, or lost it (physically, not figuratively speaking), etc.

Taper420

Thanks for the reply. Kind of sucks for the people who turn it in the day of court who expect to get it done in 30 days when ti doesn't actually start until the notification comes through (at least that's what I was told).

FlyingRon

You have unreasonable expectations if you think that the conditions of your probation are going to be dispensed with at your convenience.

Regardless of when it starts, I'd avoid driving in Pennsylvania until you are 100% certain that the suspension is over and that you've done whatever hoops you need to do to restore your privs in PA.

In Virginia, you're probably safe. By the time the paperwork winds it's way down here your suspension will probably be over. However, this would be an excellent time to make sure that the VA DMV has your correct contact information.

foot

I can't say for sure, but I was talking to someone who kind of had a similar situation....this was in CA, though. This guy had his license suspended for 30 days (he wasn't aware) and he went to the DMV to renew his license or something of that nature, and the DMV told him his license was suspended and that he had 10 days left on the suspension. So, since he had no idea about this, he never turned in a license or anything of that nature....yet, the suspension still took place. I don't think they go by whether or not you turn in a license to start the suspension. It starts when it starts. And not everyone has a license to turn in....some people may have misplaced it, or lost it (physically, not figuratively speaking), etc.
That is not how PA operates, at least concerning in-state licenses. They will not start crediting your suspension until they physically have your license, and will issue a warrant if you do not either give them your license or a letter stating that you do not have any copies of your license. I'm not sure what they do in cases of out-of-state drivers. Be safe and call PennDOT to make sure they do not want you to surrender your license.

Taper420

You have unreasonable expectations if you think that the conditions of your probation are going to be dispensed with at your convenience.

Regardless of when it starts, I'd avoid driving in Pennsylvania until you are 100% certain that the suspension is over and that you've done whatever hoops you need to do to restore your privs in PA.

In Virginia, you're probably safe. By the time the paperwork winds it's way down here your suspension will probably be over. However, this would be an excellent time to make sure that the VA DMV has your correct contact information.
Why so on the contact information? I already know they have my current contact information since I just got my license a couple months ago down here. I spoke to VA DMV and PA DMV for multiple hours and came up with the following:

PA says that they'll notify me and that I won't be able to drive in PA. They also say the won't explicitly inform VA DMV of the suspension. I'll only be put on the National Driver's Registry for the duration of the suspension (30 days)

VA DMV says that once they find out they may take action and suspend my license. But the lady also told me to call back to make sure I get it placed on my record for VA.... Odd.

FlyingRon

Because if the VA gets the NDR update with your suspension and sends you a notice, you want to know for sure your license was under suspension so you don't risk a serious charge in VA for driving while suspended.

Taper420

Because if the VA gets the NDR update with your suspension and sends you a notice, you want to know for sure your license was under suspension so you don't risk a serious charge in VA for driving while suspended.
Ahh, ok. They've got it for sure. How does the NDR work? Is it true I'm only on there for 30 days then of again?

Taper420

Wonderful. Even if it' a deferred adjudication and a "non-conviction"? I'm not required to answer yes on any of those kinds of questions after my probation is out and record is expunged.

Edit: Just got off the phone with PA DMV and I'm eligible to drive there again starting April 10th, so it actually started a day before my hearing (which was on March 11). No notification was coming my way (they didn't even have an address for me in system) but one will be sent when I'm eligible to drive again.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

The deferral in the ARD will not show up.
The suspension will.

The forever part is perhaps not what I meant. Your records will stay on the NDR as long as PA has them. It's certainly not 30 days. In this case, it's until you get reinstated in PA. If you actually had a DUI, it's for as long as your state posts DUIs (7-10 years most places, not sure of Penna).

Taper420

The deferral in the ARD will not show up.
The suspension will.

The forever part is perhaps not what I meant. Your records will stay on the NDR as long as PA has them. It's certainly not 30 days. In this case, it's until you get reinstated in PA. If you actually had a DUI, it's for as long as your state posts DUIs (7-10 years most places, not sure of Penna).
See that's the part I can't figure out. I am currently charged with DUI but once I complete the probation, etc, the charges are dropped and my record is wiped clean. I know the record of me having ARD will be kept for future reference but it will not show up on employer checks. So when does DMV consider a conviction and when does it not? I'm not ever really "convicted", just sort of hanging there until it's completed. I believe it's 10 years for PA.

FlyingRon

It's not a conviction, the ARD doesn't go on the NDR. If you complete the probation, you won't be convicted and the NDR will never hear of it. The NDR will hear of your suspension and will list it until you are reinstated in PA.

PA will keep a record on their own of you having been given ARD so they won't offer it to you again (and give you the second offense sanctions).

Taper420

It's not a conviction, the ARD doesn't go on the NDR. If you complete the probation, you won't be convicted and the NDR will never hear of it. The NDR will hear of your suspension and will list it until you are reinstated in PA.

PA will keep a record on their own of you having been given ARD so they won't offer it to you again (and give you the second offense sanctions).
I understand all of that. So say if in 3 years I go to move to another stat, any state, could they refuse me on the grounds that I had a suspension for 30 days in PA that's been cleared up and taken care of? Basically I'm reinstated in PA on April 10th, then what do other states see/do? I'm free to drive nation-wide after the 30 days are up right? I'

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">