• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

License suspension question (DUI)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RajiRaj2k

What is the name of your state? PA/ NJ

I've been living in PA for the past 3 years b/c i've been goin to school here. I got arrested for DUI in PA, but i have NJ license. I had my final ARD court date on March 4th. That day i was told i would have a 60 day license suspension. I've completed my ARD program. I AM SO CONFUSED ABOUT THE SUSPENSION. It has been 60 days since they told me on March 4th. I never received anything in the mail. Is my suspension over? My MAIN question is what do i have to do with my NJ license. I still have it, i never received anything in the mail, etc. etc. People i talk to in PA say that they had to "surrender" their license to PA PENNDOT> ANY HELP AT ALL is appreciated.

thanks

Bravo8

Usually, the court will seize your driver's license when you are sentenced, and your suspension begins imemdiately (there is case law on this, documenting the fact that you do not have to receive notice from PennDOT that your DL is suspended, the Judge's statement is enough).

As a general rule, PennDOT will not begin the tolling of your suspension period until the have received your DL. Since you are a licensed driver out of state, I'm not sure how they would treat that situation. You should contact PennDOT to clarify the issue. Plus, they'll be able to tell you if you're still suspended in PA.

In addition, you should contact NJ to confirm that your DL in NJ is not still suspended. Under the Driver's License Compact, NJ will likely suspend your DL as a result of the suspension in PA, however they will suspend your DL under their guidelines, so it could be a longer or shorter suspension period.

gmcgann

In general, one state cannot suspend the driver's license of a resident of another state. They have no jurisdiction to do so. What they do is suspend your driving privelege in the state you were convicted in, then send that information back to your home state to take whatever action they feel is appropriate.

In the old days these kind of things would sometimes get lost in the shuffle and your home state wouldn't find out. That's less likely today; however, you may not want to volunteer any information to your home state. You can go to DMV and request a copy of your driving record or something like that and see what shows up. If they knew about the PA conviction odds are you would have received some sort of notice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">