• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Licensure question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cad376

This is a bit complicated, and I'm trying to make sure I'm not breaking any laws (thats the last thing I need at this point).

I was arrested for DUI in Colorado this January. I was a student at the time with a Texas drivers license. My license was confiscated by the police in Colorado, and never returned to me. I did not protest the seizure and was convicted of the DUI. Later I received a notice in the mail that my license was being revoked for one year (from the state of Colorado, not Texas). I am currently still on a mail-in probation program in Colorado.

Fast Forward to the present. I have moved from Colorado to New York, and was trying to see if I could get a New York license (found I couldn't because I had been revoked in another state, and you cannot be issued a license until it is reinstated there). I then called the Texas DMV to see if I could reinstate it there (Reinstating your license after a DUI is easier in Texas than Colorado), and found that my Texas license was still active. It seems that although the card itself was confiscated, the license was never revoked in Texas. After filling out some forms for a replacement license to be sent to New York, it seems everything is going through without a hitch to send me an active Texas license.

This is where I find myself today. I'm wondering: 1. If anyone knows if I will be breaking any laws by driving on this license 2. If I am contacted by police in New York, or anywhere else for that matter if they see a revocation in Colorado and assume I am driving under revocation? I feel like I may have gotten lucky and found a type of loophole that will allow me to legally drive anywhere other than Colorado, but I want to make sure this isn't going to all catch up with me and get me in trouble later. I have read some stuff about interstate compact etc. that made me think I might not be in the clear yet...

cad376

I would also like to mention that I have not withheld any information from the state of Texas. Keep in mind I never told anyone that I had a DUI conviction in Colorado, but I did not withhold any information from anyone I talked to and I answered all questions on the renewal forms honestly.

FlyingRon

I don't think you've broken any laws. While the compact requires notification the way that it's acted on is rather loosely interpreted by the receiving states. Some will suspend you, some won't.

If you didn't lie on your NY application where it asks if you were suspended in another state, then you've committed no crime. That doesn't mean that in some subsequent action or renewal NY won't suddenly notice you're under suspension in Colorado and revoke or decline to renew you.

The one thing that is sure is that until you are reinstated by Colorado, you MUST NOT DRIVE IN COLORADO regardless of what license you have in your possession.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">