• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minnesota DWI and possible bad treatment in jail ??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the name of your state? Minnesota

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

I am a 27 year old white professional female. I have never been in trouble by the law or arrested for anything my entire life until 2 weekends ago when I was arrested for DWI.

I was pulled over because the license plate light on my car doesn't work. The cops asked if I'd been drinking and yes, I'd had 3 beers. I thought I would pass the field sobriety test, but I didn't even pass the field breath test. They arrested me immediately after I blew and refused to tell me what I blew. They took me to the station for the official breath test, which gave me a .08.

Then they took me to the county jail. At jail, I was told I could be released in 4 hours, as is standard procedure for alcohol-related offenses. At this point, I was NOT feeling any effects of alcohol. I was then told by another officer that I would have to post $500 bail. I was confused, as this contridicted what the other officer had told me. So, I did not know what to tell anyone I was trying to call - when could they come get me, should they bring $500, I did not know.

I was then asked for all my information from a jail clerk - including how much money I make, my address, etc. The clerk then asked if I had someone to verify my information. At this point, it was 1 a.m., and I did not see the need to bother anyone with a call from a jail clerk. I wanted to talk to people and ask for help myself. So I said no.

I was then told by another officer that had I given the name of someone to verify my information, that I would have been released without bail. But because I didn't, I had to pay bail. I explained how this was my first time in jail, and I had no way of knowing that information. I was told to sit back down in a common area with other inmates, where I could use the phone, etc.

At this point I had to use the restroom. Earlier I had been directed to a holding cell to use the rest room. I went back in there, used the toilet, then noticed there was no toilet paper. Having never been in jail, I thought maybe they just didn't have TP in jail. So, I asked the cops at the counter if that was the case. They said all I had to do was ask, and they gave me some toilet paper. So I went back to the holding cell to clean myself up, and that is when they locked the door behind me, without telling me they were doing so or giving me a warning. I should have been allowed to sit in the common area with the other inmates, where I could have used the phone. Instead I was locked up for a couple hours in the holding cell, then taken to the main jail/housing unit, placed in a cell for the night, actually, until Monday morning (I was arrested Saturday night). Fortunately I was let out for an hour on Sunday in the morning to a place where I could use a phone, and I called someone who came to let me out on $500 bail.

I think that my treatment here was much more extreme that other people who have had DWIs in my state. Most get let out after 4 hours and do not have to pay bail. Just because I had never been in jail before and didn't know the proper procedures, I had to spend the night. That's not fair!! Do you think I could use this at all in my case? Would the judge even care? Isn't the fact that I already had to spend the night in jail a testiment that I have received punishment, possibly even inappropriate punishment?

I would also like to say that I have always been responsible about drinking and driving. I stay the most sober in my group, limiting myself to only a few drinks when I go out, so we are all safe. I did not feel impaired when I was pulled over. And, I will never, ever drink anything at all and drive anymore. In fact, I think the law should be changed so that it is illegal to have any alcohol on your breath when driving, because .08 is so deceiving to most people. Would any judge consider these personal beliefs in my case?

I have been told that I could show up for my court date and plead down to careless driving on my own, since it is only a .08 and its my first offense. How often does that work?

I am also questioning as to whether or not I should file the judicial review of the revocation of my license. I heard that only 15% of people win these appeals, and they win them on an administrative techicality by the cops who arrested them. I have had an attorney review my test results and such and it does not appear they committed any violations. So, whats the point of filing this appeal? I know that it would take off the "alcohol related" if I end up with careless driving, but it doesn't sound like I have much of a chance to win.

I am a little strapped on money right now. I started a new job 3 months ago making $45,000 annually. However, before that I was poor, I even filed Chapter 7 before the law changed to rid myself of credit card debt. I moved into a new apartment with my new job and I don't have any savings. I had to pay $500 bail, $150 to get my car back, and now $700 to get my license back. My court date is Jan. 31 and I won't have much money to offer an attorney at that time, but I can afford to make payments. Does anyone work on a payment plan?

Last edited:

BigMistakeFl

BigMistakeFl

Lots of questions there. I think that first, you should realize that the prosecution's job will be to prove that you were impaired while driving. The treatment you got or didn't get in jail following your arrest will not be relevant to your DWI case. It does sound like you got the run-around, so you can file a complaint, you can sue in civil court, but that won't be considered evidence in your DWI case.

As for the DMV hearing, few people prevail. My lawyer told me that even if we are in the right, the only real chance we have of winning is if the arresting cop doesn't show up for the hearing. These hearings are chaired not by a judge or even a lawyer, just a mangerial DMV clerk. They simply have the duty to decide if the cop was right in the question of probable cause for the DWI arrest.

You can try to get a public defender, but they will want financial information to see whether or not you qualify. Your BAC was low, so it would be worth you speaking with a lawyer, but remember that BAC is only one piece of evidence the prosecution will use.

gawm

As far as the jail treatment is concerned, nothing out of the ordinary there. I have yet to meet a person who felt they got treated fairly in jail. You complaint on that issue will go nowhere.

I know that I do not qualify for a public defender.

Has anyone ever pled down to a careless driving without the assistance of a lawyer?

And, what's the point of filing the civil suit/judicial review that appeals the revocation of my license, if the only cases won are those in which the arresting officer does not show, and if only 15% of cases win? I have been quoted by several attorneys $1000 for this part of the case (in addition to $1500 for just the criminal, DWI case). That's a lot of money to spend on something that probably won't work!!

BigMistakeFl

BigMistakeFl

One more thing..... using a BAC formula, if you weigh 110lbs and drank 3 beers in a period of 3 hours, your BAC would have been around 0.065. If you weigh more or ate during the process, the BAC would have been lower. Either you lost count of your drinks, or the breathalyzer machine was incorrect. Your lawyer can discover the calibration information on the machine to determine if it has been maintained to date. But, if you drank those 3 beers in a one hour period, you would have been over the limit.

I have been told that 3 beers puts me right at .08 ... I weigh about 150. The cops who arrested me gave me a little chart that shows that 3 drinks at my weight is a .08. I had the beers in a 2 hour time period, along with a big meal.

The calibration on the machine was accurate. I already had an attorney look at my test results (although I did not like this attorney at all) and he told me it was legit.

Last edited:

BigMistakeFl

BigMistakeFl

That part about only winning if the cop doesn't show is just something my lawyer here in Florida said. He didn't have any statistical proof of anything; just his opinion.

I think the advantage of the hearing is the off chance that you could win and get the suspension reversed. Another thing is that by filing for the hearing, in some states you get a temporary license which enables you to drive until that hearing date. This may only delay the real "hard" suspension, but can get you around until that hearing date. Also, if you hire a lawyer and do go for the DMV hearing, you get to hear pretty much most of the evidence the prosecution has against you, before the court date or trial.

Ohhhh... in regards to the DMV case, that is very helpful to know I'd receive the evidence and all that. I also think I could get my license back once the law suit is filed (I know someone else who just did that), but, I am planning to get my limited license anyway, and all I really need is to drive to work and back. I want to avoid spending $1000 on nothing. Its a tough decision. Thanks for reading my story.

OK, well, in regards to the bad treatment in jail, I guess there isn't anything I can do about that -- just thought I would check!!! I am very upset about it, but I figured that there was nothing I could do.

Thank you.

gawm

If you want the best possible result for your situation you will have to hire an attorney. Good luck!

I know that attorneys post here, and I am just skeptical, because this is what I think are my possible scenerios.

Best possible:
I hire a lawyer who gets rid of my DWI and we win the lawsuit against the revocation of license. I am out $2500 for the cost of a lawyer, but I get my $500 bail and $700 license reistatement fee back. Unlikely to happen, because I did indeed blow a .08 into a working machine under the observation of a cop who was following procedure.

Worst possible:
Hire lawyer for $2500 and do not win the revocation law suit, because statistics in my state indicate that only 15% of people win that case. Possibly win the DWI case but so what, I could have probably done that myself. I'm out $2500 and still have to pay the higher "alcohol-related offense" insurance rates and maybe even fines.

Middle of the road:
I do not hire a lawyer and I do not file the law suit against the license revocation. I show up for my hearing and get my case pled down to careless driving by talking to the prosecutor myself. So I end up with an alcohol-related careless driving on my record, which insurance companies view as a DWI, so I pay more insurance, but I saved myself $2500 on the cost of a lawyer.

Am I wrong in these assessments?

gawm

Those are very valid concerns you have. Go down to the court and talk to the prosecutor. He'll probably make you sign some kind of waiver before he talks to you. (don't talk about the facts of the case) See if he is willing to bargain with you. If you don't like what you hear, then proceed with hiring an attorney

zackwesterling

For one of my offences

For one of my offences for DWI that I won- I had the court date changed over and over to the maximum extent. Paid my lawyers firm over $10,000 in fees and I eventually plead down to Careless driving. But for my other 6 traffic offences it cost me huge, huge huge!
As far as getting treated fairly in jail? there is no such thing. You have to pick your cell mates wisely and quickly. Sounds like you might have had more than three beers. I weigh 240 pounds with a body mass index of 21 and lift weights big time & bench press 400 pounds. I guzzle a twelve pack in one hour and start to get a buzz and blew into the clubs breathalyzer mounted on the wall and hit .20 When I guzzeled 48 beers my BAC according to the machine was .35. I always stay off paved roads and put a keg right in the bed of my pickup and my other 300 pound plus friends run a hose right up through the window and drink out of pitchers. When I party like that I never drive on a paved road just stay on the two tracks and mud boggs. Ever since I made a private deal with a deputy to stay off the paved roads and stick to the two tracks I have been never hassaled for my overzealous driving offences. They never treated me good in jail ever, I have been spit on, kicked in groin, insulted, cussed at and out.

Just Blue

zackwesterling said:
For one of my offences for DWI that I won- I had the court date changed over and over to the maximum extent. Paid my lawyers firm over $10,000 in fees and I eventually plead down to Careless driving. But for my other 6 traffic offences it cost me huge, huge huge!
As far as getting treated fairly in jail? there is no such thing. You have to pick your cell mates wisely and quickly. Sounds like you might have had more than three beers. I weigh 240 pounds with a body mass index of 21 and lift weights big time & bench press 400 pounds. I guzzle a twelve pack in one hour and start to get a buzz and blew into the clubs breathalyzer mounted on the wall and hit .20 When I guzzeled 48 beers my BAC according to the machine was .35. I always stay off paved roads and put a keg right in the bed of my pickup and my other 300 pound plus friends run a hose right up through the window and drink out of pitchers. When I party like that I never drive on a paved road just stay on the two tracks and mud boggs. Ever since I made a private deal with a deputy to stay off the paved roads and stick to the two tracks I have been never hassaled for my overzealous driving offences. They never treated me good in jail ever, I have been spit on, kicked in groin, insulted, cussed at and out.

Too bad there is no more dumb post contest ....you would have won! What an idiot! :p

screwedpooch

Dont waste any money on an attorney. I am glad I didnt, my outcome was good without one. I blew a .27 which is an Extreme DUI. (my first offense ever)

So I was facing mandatory jail time a min. of 14 days, 3,000.00 fine, 6 months suspended license, and have an ignition device on my vehicle which costs around 1500.00. Plus this and that, AA type things.

Well when it came time to deal with the DA I told her I could not except having an Extreme DUI. I just explained I didnt care about the fine, or even the jail time but I couldnt have an Extreme on my record nor did I want an ignition device. After going back and forth a couple times with a decision, she agreed to a regular DUI instead with 10 days in jail (which was a piece of cake, nice vacation from the 70hr work week), $3,000 fine, 90 day license suspension and some counseling.

I think if I would have gone in with a lawyer he couldnt have done much better than that since my BAL was so high. It would have ended up costing me an extra 3,000.00 for my lawyer to be there, anything else needed would be more $$.

As for your license....let that go. I had a suspended license, but still drove when I really needed too. Its only 90 days!

So just go in and talk to the DA when its your turn and explain you know your guilty but its your first time and you would like to plead it down to Careless driving (for your record) but you'll still do some of the regular DUI penalties. Like you'll probably not have to do anymore jail time since you already spent more than 24hrs. You'll pay a fine and have to do some counseling stuff. If the DA wont agree you still have time to tell them you want an extension, then you can get a lawyer if you are not happy with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">