• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor in possession

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tiger211

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? LA

My 18 year old LSU student was issued a minor in possession ticket last night. He was walking to a friend's apartment with a few beer in a bag. He was in the apartment complex parking lot. What do we do? He has a 3.4gpa for his first semester, so he is very studious. He has never had a any other run in with the law previously.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? LA

My 18 year old LSU student was issued a minor in possession ticket last night. He was walking to a friend's apartment with a few beer in a bag. He was in the apartment complex parking lot. What do we do? He has a 3.4gpa for his first semester, so he is very studious. He has never had a any other run in with the law previously.
His GPA has nothing to do with his violation of the law. Get a lawyer.

Tiger211

I know that his gpa has nothing to do with the violation. It was stated only to emphasize that he is a good kid & that he must be doing something right as freshman student majoring in biology, carrying 17 hours!! So be a little kinder & tell me why I need an attorney. Back up what you said. Is this a big deal ?

Silverplum

I know that his gpa has nothing to do with the violation. It was stated only to emphasize that he is a good kid & that he must be doing something right as freshman student majoring in biology, carrying 17 hours!! So be a little kinder & tell me why I need an attorney. Back up what you said. Is this a big deal ?
This is not 3rd grade. He doesn't get a medal just for showing up. :rolleyes:

He's been caught in the commission of a crime. One usually hires an attorney to help one navigate the court system when one is charged with a crime.

mountain dew

It's a little confusing when someone asked what do we do when frankly there is nothing that you can do except pay the ticket if he is in fact guilty. If the situation was different then it would make since to ask what to do. More then likely your son will just have to show up to court, plead guilty and pay all the fines issued by the court.

You could simply pay the ticket. An attorney may be able to make a deal with the courts to get the charge and possibly the fines associated with your sons crime changed to a lesser offense. An MIP could result in the suspension of his license and more severe penalties. This is not an extremely serious offense but having a lawyer to represent your son could also keep him out of court. The call as to whether or not you should hire a lawyer is really yours but you must realize that as much as I don't care about how well your son is doing in school, the court doesn't either. An attorney can help to ensure your son isn't treated like the other common criminals entering the court each day. A lawyer may also be able to have the whole matter settled with your son not ever having to step foot in a courtroom. Your son is obviously doing something wrong as well, breaking the law and drinking underage. If you came to this forum looking to have your free advice sugar coated you obviously have the wrong place. Was he on University property? What statute number was he charged with?

Last edited:

Tiger211

Thank you silverplum & mountain dew! Yes, we know he is guilty of the crime & he admits it. So really we were unsure as to whether we needed an attorney or not. We will contact an attorney ! Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">