• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor in Possession of Alcohol

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

untitled123

What is the name of your state? California

Hi,

I live in Alameda County. Berkeley, CA to be more exact. Last night on my way home I had a plastic cup with a small amount of whisky in it that I asked for a sip. I didn't like it much, so I decided to throw the cup away and find a trash can. As I turned the corner near the street where I live, a group of campus cops were standing there talking to each other. I tried to walk away, but one of the cops told me to walk towards him. He asked for an ID, I told him I wasn't 21. He took down my driver's license number and issued me a "Notice to Appear" slip. Also, the slip says I am cited under BP 25662 (a) Minor in Possession of Alcohol. It is also a misdemeanor. Does anyone know how much I will be fined in this county or if I can go to court, plead not guilty or have the citatation reduced? I wasn't drunk, but the officer kept making comments about me stumbling, which wasn't the case. I'm real worried here and I don't want this on my record.

CdwJava

If it is charged as a misdemeanor and you are booked (i.e. have to have your photo and prints taken) you may well have a state criminal offender history. However, these are usually treated as infractions like traffic tickets.

And possession does not require inebriation.

- Carl

untitled123

If it is charged as a misdemeanor and you are booked (i.e. have to have your photo and prints taken) you may well have a state criminal offender history. However, these are usually treated as infractions like traffic tickets.

And possession does not require inebriation.

- Carl
I forgot to mention that I haven't been formally convicted. The officer gave me a number to call the court in Oakland. I want to take the case to trial, but I am not sure if pleading not guilty will worsen the case since I don't have an attorney immediately at hand. Is there a way to possibly find a way out of a potential misdemeanor conviction? I am really without any ideas on how to deal with this.

CdwJava

I forgot to mention that I haven't been formally convicted. The officer gave me a number to call the court in Oakland. I want to take the case to trial, but I am not sure if pleading not guilty will worsen the case since I don't have an attorney immediately at hand. Is there a way to possibly find a way out of a potential misdemeanor conviction? I am really without any ideas on how to deal with this.
I figured that you had not gone to trial yet.

Pleading not guilty shouldn't have any impact on sentencing.

What the penalty is will depend on whether they file it as a misdemeanor or an infraction. If this is a first offense, it should be an infraction and will be punishable by up to $250 fine and between 24 and 32 hours community service. You also face a 12 month license suspension as well. However, if convicted you can apply for a restricted license though I believe you have to serve at least 30 days of the suspension first, but I am not entirely sure of that requirement.

- Carl

untitled123

I figured that you had not gone to trial yet.

Pleading not guilty shouldn't have any impact on sentencing.

What the penalty is will depend on whether they file it as a misdemeanor or an infraction. If this is a first offense, it should be an infraction and will be punishable by up to $250 fine and between 24 and 32 hours community service. You also face a 12 month license suspension as well. However, if convicted you can apply for a restricted license though I believe you have to serve at least 30 days of the suspension first, but I am not entirely sure of that requirement.

- Carl
Which plea will better my chances of having the court file it as an infraction? Guilty or not guilty? I have never had any previous misdemeanors or felonies.

Thank you.

untitled123

What would the trial be for? There is no excuse to drinking when you're under 21.
I understand your point, though it's a little excessive. I just want to know if trying to fight the case or just accepting guilt will help me out a little. I'm a student, A average and made a bad decision one night that I don't want to haunt me in the future on my permanent record. I'm just looking for advice here, thanks.

CdwJava

That's the reason you might want to consult a local attorney. These are typically treated as infractions since there is no jail time attached, but it could still technically be a misdemeanor.

The court cannot reduce the offense on his or her own (at least, I have never heard of this happening), the DA can. The DA may offer a lesser plea, or they may not. Having an attorney might help. But, again, you have to decide if it's worth the money for the attorney.

- Carl

untitled123

That's the reason you might want to consult a local attorney. These are typically treated as infractions since there is no jail time attached, but it could still technically be a misdemeanor.

The court cannot reduce the offense on his or her own (at least, I have never heard of this happening), the DA can. The DA may offer a lesser plea, or they may not. Having an attorney might help. But, again, you have to decide if it's worth the money for the attorney.

- Carl
Thank you for the information. I went to the court this morning to check on the status of the citation, but the clerks told me to wait 4 to 6 weeks for notification of a date to appear again. Apparently, calling in 4 days after the incident is too soon. If anything else occurs, I will make sure to come here. Thanks again for your time.

smiliez

I was wondering what happened? I was recently cited for the same misdemeanor also in berkeley. Do you have and suggestions to advice?

CdwJava

I was wondering what happened? I was recently cited for the same misdemeanor also in berkeley. Do you have and suggestions to advice?
Sorry, but this post was from September of 2007. I doubt the original poster is still hanging about.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">