• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor in Possession - MN

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

farewellmn

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

During my sophomore year of college, I was walking on the streets with friends on a Saturday night. We had not been drinking for an hour or so, but one person was carrying a few bottles of alcohol with him. We were being a bit loud, so when the cops came over to talk to us, they heard the bottles hitting against one another and we all received a minor in possession.

I was told by the officer that all I would have to do was pay the 250 dollar fine. I was told the same by the Rice County court office that handled these matters. I should have probably done more research into this situation at the time, but I believed that paying the fine would be the end of this ordeal. However, I was mistaken and I believe this MIP is still on my record at the moment. I previously thought that it would eventually be removed off my record since I was a minor at the time and because it was my only infraction.

I am applying for graduate schools and jobs in a few weeks and I do not want potential employers or schools to be able to see it, since I believe it will hurt my chances of acceptance/landing a job. Is there anything I can do to have this removed from my record or avoid reporting it on applications?

This was my first and only offense and I do not want to pay for something I did foolishly 5 years ago.

Any advice would be very helpful. Thanks.

Indiana Filer

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

During my sophomore year of college, I was walking on the streets with friends on a Saturday night. We had not been drinking for an hour or so, but one person was carrying a few bottles of alcohol with him. We were being a bit loud, so when the cops came over to talk to us, they heard the bottles hitting against one another and we all received a minor in possession.
MIP is a very minor charge, and it's also pretty common among college students. I don't think it will have a great effect on grad school or a job. (I'm a probation officer.)

BTW, if you were over 18 at the time of your arrest, it will probably be on your record forever. You might be able to get it expunged, however, and then it will disappear. Google the following (without the quotation marks) "expunge record Minnesota"

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">