• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor took my car drinking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Scared25

To make a very long story short, my friend's juvenile delinquent brother took off with my car while we were watching a movie a few weeks ago. I handed him the keys to get my friend's cell phone and after about half an hour he didn't come back and I was naturally concerned, but I never would've dreamed he'd drive off with it. He took my car on a joy ride around town, called me and told me he was at his friend's house. At that point, I was out in the lobby ordering a drink & didn't want to make a big scene so I said "DO NOT go anywhere else. Stay there. After you're done come right back to the theater".

Well, an hour after that my friend got a call from her mother. He was arrested in a parking lot in my car drinking and doing stupid things with some friends. He's sixteen, has a permit, but not a license. The cop wasn't angry at me in the least. He gave me the address with which I could get my car, told me several times that I wasn't in any trouble, and even complimented me on how I handled the situation (I'm 18). He went to court the next day & the judge told my friend's brother that he would most likely end up getting parole for the offense. I never got cited, never got a ticket, that was that.

Still, i'm worried I may somehow get in trouble since I technically did hand him the keys. It's a complicated situation and I don't know what to think and I am very nervous. Is there any chance I could get into trouble? Or would I have known by now?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
What state is this?

You handed him the keys but did not give him permission to drive. If it is that big of a concern or you are that upset about it you should consider pressing charges for auto larceny or unauthorized use of a vehicle, etc. Since I don't know your state I don't know what charge would be appropriate.

If that's not something you wish to do then forget about it - it's all over with. He apparently wasn't driving drunk and had no accident. There's no issue.

LdiJ

To make a very long story short, my friend's juvenile delinquent brother took off with my car while we were watching a movie a few weeks ago. I handed him the keys to get my friend's cell phone and after about half an hour he didn't come back and I was naturally concerned, but I never would've dreamed he'd drive off with it. He took my car on a joy ride around town, called me and told me he was at his friend's house. At that point, I was out in the lobby ordering a drink & didn't want to make a big scene so I said "DO NOT go anywhere else. Stay there. After you're done come right back to the theater".

Well, an hour after that my friend got a call from her mother. He was arrested in a parking lot in my car drinking and doing stupid things with some friends. He's sixteen, has a permit, but not a license. The cop wasn't angry at me in the least. He gave me the address with which I could get my car, told me several times that I wasn't in any trouble, and even complimented me on how I handled the situation (I'm 18). He went to court the next day & the judge told my friend's brother that he would most likely end up getting parole for the offense. I never got cited, never got a ticket, that was that.

Still, i'm worried I may somehow get in trouble since I technically did hand him the keys. It's a complicated situation and I don't know what to think and I am very nervous. Is there any chance I could get into trouble? Or would I have known by now?
You would have known by now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">