• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MIP 19 years old TN.What to expect

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

babyboi123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Clarksville,TN (Montgomery)
Okay, so last night I left a friends party. I consumed probally 3 or 4 beers over a 4 hour period. No more than 4. I am 19 years old around 6'1 and 300 lbs. I didn't even have a slight buzz.On the way home my radar starts going off. I started slowing down but it was too late. The sheriff catches me and pulls me over. Walks up to the car and asks me why I was going so fast, I had no reason besides just trying to get home faster. He then asks me for my license and registration, and proof of insurance. I get all the paperwork and hand it to him. He then notices two six packs behind my driver seat. one six pack is empty it is just the cardboard box, the other has 4 beers left. Yes i know its more than four but i gave the rest out during beer pong.So then he asked me How many drinks I had had. I told him 3 or 4, then he asked if there were any open containers in the vehicle and I said no considering the 4 bottles in the back hadn't been opened.He goes back and runs my paperwork comes back and smacks me with everything he can find. 1st my insurance is expired $250ish or i can provide proof when I appear in court ( my fault, no problem solving this issue) 2nd $240ish he notices my flipout radio/CD/DVD player which is in drivers view. He asked if it plays DVDs I said yes,( once again being honest) he then said TN has a law about no televisions in drivers view.( the issue I have here is that I only use the touchscreen for CD/Radio it has a function in which DVDs/movies cannot be played unless the vehicle is in Park)So i'm wondering if this can be bright up and dismissed since it isn't used as a television while moving.3rd Excessive noise another $250ish. I am into customizing my car and car audio hence the touchscreen. I also have a pretty well off sound system which I can say I was probally playing. He tagged me for around 250 but when I looked up the TN code for excessive noise i'm sure it says only up to a 50$ fine.(maybe someone can check, I believe it is title 55-8-193) so i'm hoping to get this fine reduced. 4th another 250$ fine . illegal window tint. I have 5% all around my firebird. I can say I engoy the look of limo, and i know TN law is 35%. Also I understand the police officer view, he cannot see in the car and that presents clear and present danger for him. Hence when he pulled me over I lowered my front windows(only side windows on a firebird) and I turned on my dome light to appear brighter inside so he would feel more at ease. I am hoping to try and plea to the judge to drop this which I am told isn't going to happen. I feel that I have invested over $2000 into my car audio system and I don't want some trickster/thug to just be able to view into my 35% tinted window(which one can clearly see through) and see my goods and decide to break into my car.5th $238.50 speeding ticket original reason for me being pulled over. This is straightforward he caught me speeding. and i'll take the fine without argument. I have had a speeding ticket before which I attended the class for about a year ago, but I believe you can only be eligible to take this class every 2 years. And lastly the major concern the MIP citation.I am a college student, actively involved in my fraternity, and I work a part-time job. I have no other priors besides the afore mentioned speeding ticket which i went to class and i'm pretty sure got erased after i took the class. The officer pulled me from the car. didn't issue a breathilyzer or any field sobriety test. He simply told me I would have to appear in court for this one, made me pour out the remaining beers(which I was more than happy he wans't arresting me for).He then told me I would have to leave my car there and call someone to pick me up, since I had mentioned I had had a couple drinks.I couldn't get two people to come, so I had to leave my car locked and parked while my ride took me home for the night. Okay now I am really scared about this MIP. As stated earlier I know there is a good chance I will have my license suspended, I have a person who is close that works in the D.A. office and she is going to pass my name around, and refer me to a good lawyer who is also and alumni of my greek organization. I am hoping to get this MIP reduced somehow. Is there any chance since this is my 1st major mess up. I have read about a "pretrial diversion" which I am thinking may be a good way to go. As long as i can keep my nose clean, or do you think with this list of citations I won't be able to get it? Are there any programs that I can recieve a limited license to atleast go to school and work? I haven't contacted the lawyer yet, but i'm pretty sure from what my source at the DA says i'll prolly need one. Once again if anyone here can offer any help I know this was long but I would gladly appreciate some insight as to what I will be facing. I am to appear march 11,2009

FlyingRon

That's a nice rambling story.

Minor in Possession? You should be darned lucky you're not up for full up DUI which by your own admission you are guilty as hell of.

Your weight, amount of consumption, or how buzzed you feel doesn't enter in to the fact that you were committing a MISDEMEANOR by drinking and driving when you should not have been drinking or possessing alcohol at all.

Are you really in college? Try some English courses. It will do you good.

What you "engoy" [SIC] is immaterial. How much you spent making illegal modifications to your car is immaterial. The tint laws, noise laws, and other vehicle equipment laws are not subject to your interpretation as to what is important. If you don't correct the tint and other illegal options, don't expect any leniency from the judge, and expect to be written up again by some other cop.

You need a good attitude check and legal assistance. If you are really in college, your school may have some free or low cost assistance available to you. Otherwise, there's a nice pre-google reference book sitting there by the phone It's probably got 20 pages of lawyers ads in it in most cities.

Getting your license suspended is the least of your concerns.
If it were up to me you'd be in jail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">