• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mip Infraction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Bbudde

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

I was recently issued an MIP (25662(A)) Ticket. Furthermore, the officer stated he will make it an infraction and not a misdemeanor. I am 20 years old.

My questions are these:

1. For an MIP Infraction, what are the possible penalties that can be issued to me? I am a first time offender.

2. Is it mandatory that I show up to my court date in a month?

3. Is there a significant difference of having my ticket be issued as an infraction versus a misdemeanor?

Thanks. I appreciate any help.

CdwJava

Bbudde said:
I was recently issued an MIP (25662(A)) Ticket. Furthermore, the officer stated he will make it an infraction and not a misdemeanor. I am 20 years old.
A first offense is punishable only by a fine of $250 or 24-48 hours (or about that) of community service. It already IS essentially an infraction.

1. For an MIP Infraction, what are the possible penalties that can be issued to me? I am a first time offender.
See above.

2. Is it mandatory that I show up to my court date in a month?
Only if you don't want to go to jail for a brand new offense.

3. Is there a significant difference of having my ticket be issued as an infraction versus a misdemeanor?
Fine versus jail time.

- Carl

B

Bbudde

Thanks so much. Also one more question..

How does this affect my record? And if so, for how long? Thanks

CdwJava

Bbudde said:
Thanks so much. Also one more question..

How does this affect my record? And if so, for how long? Thanks
Well, if you were convicted of a misdemeanor, it would show on your criminal history forever (or until pardoned or expunged). This way, it will remain forever as a court record or local agency record, but it shouldn't be entered into a Criminal Offender record readily accessable state-wide.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">