• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MIP and MIC...at the same time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jawsandhooks

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TEXAS

hey guys,
i went to chilifest this year. im 19 years old, and many people like me were drinking and whatever, i was just one of the many unlucky kids. Anyways, the cop cuffed me and took me to the "police station" they put together behind the stage, and he issued me a MIP and MIC. I talked to some of my buddies who also got MIP's and they only got the MIP. Obviously, if you've got the beer in your hand, your gonna be drinking it. I was just curious on why i got the MIC to go along with my MIP. Snook, TX is just a small town, and this is probably how they make their money. If this is my first run-in with the police, other than traffic citations, is their any chance the judge may drop one of the two charges? What do i need to prepare to say in front of the judge?

Appreciate it
jeff

edit: also i've read that in most cases when one gets an MIC, they usually undergo a sobriety test or blow into a breathalyzer. I didn't do either, and i doubt the cop saw me take a drink. Could this be used?

Last edited:

20pilot

So it is the town's fault for giving you a ticket when you were breaking the law?

I see not even a shred of remorse from you or an admission of responsibility. It is everyone else's fault, except yours.

As for what you should say to the judge: Call him a SOB and hurl as many profanities at him as you can. That way you can be sure that you spend some time on jail, which is what you need to get an atttitude adjustment. Wihout that, you will get off with just a fine and probation which is the last thing you need.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TEXAS

hey guys,
i went to chilifest this year. im 19 years old, and many people like me were drinking and whatever, i was just one of the many unlucky kids.

No. YOu were not an unlucky kid. YOU ARE a lawbreaking ADULT. Got it?

Anyways, the cop cuffed me and took me to the "police station" they put together behind the stage, and he issued me a MIP and MIC. I talked to some of my buddies who also got MIP's and they only got the MIP. Obviously, if you've got the beer in your hand, your gonna be drinking it.
MIP doesn't mean you have a beer in your hand.
I was just curious on why i got the MIC to go along with my MIP.
Maybe you smelled to high heaven of booze. Maybe you were acting more intoxicated than the others. Maybe you were overtly under the influence.

Snook, TX is just a small town, and this is probably how they make their money. If this is my first run-in with the police, other than traffic citations, is their any chance the judge may drop one of the two charges? What do i need to prepare to say in front of the judge?
Quite frankly Jeff, you better be prepared to realize that the reality of the matter is that you were NOT an "unlucky kid". You made a bad decision which ended up with YOU breaking the law. You knew what you were doing was wrong and you still made a CHOICE to do so.

edit: also i've read that in most cases when one gets an MIC, they usually undergo a sobriety test or blow into a breathalyzer. I didn't do either, and i doubt the cop saw me take a drink. Could this be used?
IN most cases that happens. Depends on why you got the MIC. See above. You probably were overtly intoxicated or overtly drinking and were caught. A breathalyzer is NOT needed. All that is needed is a witness saw you drink.

jawsandhooks

:confused: i didn't mean to come off like that...re-reading my first post, it looks as though i was trying to talk "cool" to my buddies (college kids), excuse me. but if i may ask for your advice again, is there any chance they might drop the MIC charge since this is my first run in with the law?

jawsandhooks

if we could forget my first impression please, I'm really not a bad person...is it possible to think that if this happened to someone with a clean record previous to this event that the judge would be willing to drop the MIC charge?

CdwJava

if we could forget my first impression please, I'm really not a bad person...is it possible to think that if this happened to someone with a clean record previous to this event that the judge would be willing to drop the MIC charge?
There is always a chance that they will agree to a plea where they drop one charge in exchange for a guilty plea on the other. Whether this will require the services of an attorney or not, I cannot say. But, it might be in your best interest to consult an attorney because a conviction on either charge might have some effect on your driving privilege. It will be best to know the full ramifications going in.

This is what happens when you gamble with the law and lose.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">