• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MIP/MIC - Washington State

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

John-michael

What is the name of your state? Washington

What is the name of your state?

I'm 19 years old in Washington and was attending a party at an acquaintances house. The authorities were contacted because of a noise ordinance. Police arrived and separated the people at the party into admitting to drinking…and admitting to not drinking.

I have no criminal background at all (heck, I've never even been given a speeding ticket before).

I admited to the officer that I had 2 beers, but I didn't blow, nor was I asked to.. (I don't know how much of a difference this makes, if any). Also, the ticket says "minor in possession and/or consumption of alcohol".

We all cooperated with the officers 100% and they even said that they'd note that in the report. At this point, my plan is just to talk to the judge and admit that I was being irresponsible and made poor judgements. I'm not denying that what I did was stupid, I know it was and I don't plan on doing it again, but what I'm looking for at this point is a general idea of what I'm going to be facing when I go to court and what I should and shouldn't say. The officer told me probably just a fine, and perhaps a deferral program, and it wouldn't affect my driving at all.. but I have heard stories before and I am just a little curious and don't know what to expect.

Thanks in advance!

duiguy34

Minor in consumption or possession is lumped into one section in the State of Washington. It is the same charge for consumption or possession of liquor.

The statute reads that you it is unlawful for a person under the age of twenty-one years to be in a public place, or to be in a motor vehicle in a public place, while exhibiting the effects of having consumed liquor.

Exhibiting the effects of having consumed can be an odor of liquor on your or her breath, slurred speech, manner, appearance, behavior, lack of coordination, etc. The officer is not required to take a breath sample.

You are possibly correct in assuming that your driving privilege will not be affected. If you are under age 18, the Department of Licensing will revoke your license for one year, or until age 17 - whichever is longer. An attorney can provide you with further guidance regarding department of licensing sanctions.

The crime is a gross misdemeanor. The offense carries a maximum of 365 days in jail. Most likely you will serve no jail time and receive a suspended sentence with a fine and possible stipulations that you complete an alcohol assessment / treatment. There are no guarantees since all judges handle things slightly different.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">