• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MIP + purchasing w/ false ID while informal probation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nothingreat

Berkeley, CA

Hi guys,
So a few years ago I received a Wet Reckless (.09 BAC) and I guess I was 17 or 18 at the time. I took all my classes, paid all my fines and once again received my license a few months ago. There was a full year interlude where I was at college on the east coast so I postponed taking my education classes until the following summer. Between when I got the DUI and when I got my license back I got caught by a sting operation purchasing alcohol. The officers wrote me a ticket, I went to the courthouse, they said they ha nothing on file, i thanked my lucky stars and moved on with my life. Fast forward 5 or 6 months and I just received a letter in the mail that I need to appear in court for the MIP and False ID charge.

I know the usual practice here is to give first offenders a small fine and a mandatory alcohol class.
Seeing as I am on informal probation... I really do not know what to do. Any advice would help.

I should also mention I was a problem drinker for many years, affecting my relationships, schooling and clearly my legal standing but I've been sober for 4 months now. I am really feeling on top of my life for the first time and am worried what this might screw up.

Regards

quincy

Berkeley, CA

Hi guys,
So a few years ago I received a Wet Reckless (.09 BAC) and I guess I was 17 or 18 at the time. I took all my classes, paid all my fines and once again received my license a few months ago. There was a full year interlude where I was at college on the east coast so I postponed taking my education classes until the following summer. Between when I got the DUI and when I got my license back I got caught by a sting operation purchasing alcohol. The officers wrote me a ticket, I went to the courthouse, they said they ha nothing on file, i thanked my lucky stars and moved on with my life. Fast forward 5 or 6 months and I just received a letter in the mail that I need to appear in court for the MIP and False ID charge.

I know the usual practice here is to give first offenders a small fine and a mandatory alcohol class.
Seeing as I am on informal probation... I really do not know what to do. Any advice would help.

I should also mention I was a problem drinker for many years, affecting my relationships, schooling and clearly my legal standing but I've been sober for 4 months now. I am really feeling on top of my life for the first time and am worried what this might screw up.

Regards
The "informal probation" is from your wet reckless "a few years ago?"

Whenever you have dual charges (the MIP and false ID) on top of an earlier and related charge/conviction, and you received these additional charges while you were on probation, you are best off consulting with an experienced attorney in your area.

Congratulations, by the way, on being sober for 4 months.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">