• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mistake identity dui

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cyberrick

California

Hello,

Back in 2008 I received a letter from the dmv saying that my licence would be suspended due to a DUI. At first I thought it was a joke, but I called the dmv and the whole thing was legitimate. I tried contacting the arresting officer so that he would clear me as I was clearly the wrong person. The officer basically told me to handle the situation by myself and that If in fact it was not me that the court and dmv would clear me. After months of going to court, dmv offices, and getting my license suspended I was able to get the charges set aside and then finally get them dismissed when the DA office concluded that I was not the suspect. I thought that the nightmare was over until today when I went to the dmv to request an H6 form. It not only says that my license was suspended but it also says that I was arrested for drunk driving in 2008. The dmv claims that they can't take it off and a local lawyer wants $1000 to clear my record. The $1000 doesn't sound too bad, but the whole situation is really unfair and frustrating. Why should I pay for something that I didn't do. To add spice to this madness the person that was arrested doesn't even have the same name as me, physically an opposite to me as he is described as black, short and with tattoos. At the time of arrest he did not have any proof of ID and he was driving a car that apparently belonged to a cousin of his. The first name of the cousin is the same as my mothers maiden's name and that is how the officer linked my information to that drunk driver. At this point any info would be helpful as I am missing out on two really good job opportunities due to this problem.:confused:

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">