• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MN Vehicle Forfeiture

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

monolith092068

I was busted on a DWI last January and I am subject to vehicle forfeiture. Thing is, I have received no notice from the authorities whatsoever regarding this issue. My understanding is that they have to serve me an "Intent of Seizure or Forfeiture of Vehicle" or something like that. It's been 4 months since my conviction/hearing. When I asked my lawyer about it, she simply said "If you don't hear from them for 6-8 months then they *probably* aren't going to take it". How long do I have to wait to get the vehicle towed from my driveway? It does have some front-end damage and is not road worthy, but if the authorities aren't going to take it because of that damage, then shouldn't they also let me know so I can begin repairs?

Reason4276

In most situations where the car is not worth any money or more money is owed to pay off lenders than the car is worth. The authorities will not seize the vehicle, nor will they provide you with any documentation that they don’t intend to do so. I would wait till the court case is completed prior to doing anything with the vehicle in regards to repairs.

OHRoadwarrior

They drive by every week, waiting to see if you repaired it. Then they can make the seizure worthwhile. Consider the loss of use a temporary state of seizure.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">