• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mouthwash caused ignition interlock to "fail". Will this violate my probation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris1130

Mouthwash caused ignition interlock to "fail". Will this violate my probation?

Sunday morning I was in a rush to head out the door and brushed my teeth and gargled with mouthwash 5 minutes before I started my car. Usually when I use mouthwash I rinse my mouth out with water but I didn't even think about it. I attempted to start my car and blew a fail. I immediately freaked out and turned my car off. I was hysterical because the first thought that went through my mind was "oh my God I just violated my probation!" I called the 1-800 number I was given for the interlock device and the guy told me to wait 30 minutes before I started my car again. I didn't try starting my car until about 4 hours later and I then successfully started my car. I am scheduled today for my monthly interlock monitoring and I am so afraid that they are going to report this failure and it will violate my probation. I am not supposed to be drinking on probation and I haven't drank but I'm afraid that they will not believe me when I tell them this was from the mouthwash. Do you think this will violate me? I have never been on probation before and I've only been on probation and have had the interlock in my car since May. I am so scared.

OP85063

You can't follow simple instructions, how can you get help?
That line you deleted, on purpose before you start to type is there for a reason.

chris1130

I am from Maryland. I've never been on this website before so I didn't know that I had to type in the name of my state. I've just been searching online trying to find advice and came across this site.

ecmst12

They do make alcohol-free mouthwash. It's better for your mouth, too. Don't they give you some kind of training when they install these things?

BigMistakeFl

Mouthwash

Throw yourself on the mercy of your PO and hope he/she buys your story. Throw away your mouthwash and buy alcohol free kind instead.

Waiting four hours for mouthwash to wear off? That sounds like overkill, maybe the wait was needed though, under the circumstances.

chris1130

They did tell me what I shouldn't eat or drink when they installed the ignition interlock in my car. I use mouthwash every day and have never had this problem before but like I said in my post, I usually wash my mouth out with water and Sunday I didn't even think about it. I didn't start my car for hours after the fact because (1) I was too scared and (2) I was in a rush to take my cousin to work and when my car didn't start my husband took her instead. I didn't need to drive my car after that so I didn't bother trying to start it until I had to drive it again. When I had this installed in my car the guy told me that many things could cause you to fail so I am hoping that they will take this into consideration beings that this is my first fail as well as my first DUI offense. I've never been in trouble for anything prior to the DUI so I am praying they will take that into consideration.

chris1130

I'm not sure if everyone gets a PO. The only reason I have a PO is because I went to court for DUI and was sentenced to 1 year of supervised probation. I had the option of losing my license for 90 days or having the interlock installed for a year. Because I can't get to and from work without my license I decided to get the interlock installed, now I am kicking myself for making that choice!

irish77

I have my DL suspended in NJ for 7 months. And in PA, most likely 12 months and then interlocking for 12 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">