• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving from NC to TN

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rbenton1965

I live in NC and wanting to move to TN and I have an ignition interlock device on my car. Will I be required by TN to have this device on my car to hold a TN drivers license?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I live in NC and wanting to move to TN and I have an ignition interlock device on my car. Will I be required by TN to have this device on my car to hold a TN drivers license?
Your first step will be to check with the folks who required you to have one in the first place. They should be able to offer guidance.

rbenton1965

Your first step will be to check with the folks who required you to have one in the first place. They should be able to offer guidance.
Yeah well, I prefer to stay out of the legal system as much as possible, clean and no trouble for 20+ yrs and the legal system cost money I don't have right now, was hoping someone here could give a lil insight if they had any experience with the states. Thank you for your reply though.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Yeah well, I prefer to stay out of the legal system as much as possible, clean and no trouble for 20+ yrs and the legal system cost money I don't have right now, was hoping someone here could give a lil insight if they had any experience with the states. Thank you for your reply though.
In other words, Zig, he/she/it doesn't want NC to know that he/she/it is moving to TN, hoping to not have to put up with this 'invasion' of his/her/its privacy. :cool:

Silverplum

You can't call them and tell them you're moving? You can't ask the interlock ignition people about it? You want to just kinda slide away and leave the state?

TigerD

You are under court order in NC to maintain an interlock device.
Moving to Tenn. does not negate that court order.
Failing to comply with the terms of that order may result in additional fines, costs, license suspensions or even jail time.

Prior to making the move, you should consult with the NC Motor Vehicle Department and a DUI attorney.

TD

rbenton1965

You are under court order in NC to maintain an interlock device.
Moving to Tenn. does not negate that court order.
Failing to comply with the terms of that order may result in additional fines, costs, license suspensions or even jail time.

Prior to making the move, you should consult with the NC Motor Vehicle Department and a DUI attorney.

TD
will continue to have a vehicle for NC with device on it, that I know I can not change. I also know I will not be able to drive in NC if I get a TN DL. As long as abide by the order's of NC I was just wondering if TN would give a clear DL.

davew128

If you've been out of trouble for 20+ years, please explain why you have an interlock system.

rbenton1965

If you've been out of trouble for 20+ years, please explain why you have an interlock system.[/QU

was convicted on habitual impaired driving in NC in 1995 , in NC that means you lose DL forever, they recently passed law allowing me to petition for DL and I got them back. Part of the orders are for me to have device on my car for 7 yrs and in just 3 mos it has become a pain, constant faults which cost me money I don't have, causing problems with elec. system on my car. I could go on.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
If you've been out of trouble for 20+ years, please explain why you have an interlock system.[/QU

was convicted on habitual impaired driving in NC in 1995 , in NC that means you lose DL forever, they recently passed law allowing me to petition for DL and I got them back. Part of the orders are for me to have device on my car for 7 yrs and in just 3 mos it has become a pain, constant faults which cost me money I don't have, causing problems with elec. system on my car. I could go on.
Well, then, stop driving and give NC their license back. Problem solved. :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">