• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Multiple DUI's in NY can I get a license in another state when mandatory time is up

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lenihan54

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I live in NY, and was charged with 4 DWI's in 2 years, the last one in2009 (please don't lecture me, I understand the seriousness of my actions, and I am now a substance abuse counselor). According to NY state DMV, I can "apply" for a license in 2017 (when the mandatory 8 years is completed), but NY state imposes an additional 5 years on top of the eight years suspension.

We are contemplating moving, and I wondered if there is any state that would be more likely to issue a license once my suspension is released, or will all the states add the 5 years on to the mandatory time frame? We have a place in Florida, what are the chances of receiving a license there?could I apply there in 2017? Are any of the states "easier to get a license in"? I realize they will also have a record of my DWI's but will they not issue a license because of this?

Thanks, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
When you apply for a license in any state, you will be required to report the fact that your license is suspended in NY.

lenihan54

When you apply for a license in any state, you will be required to report the fact that your license is suspended in NY.
I realize that, but I will not be applying until 2017 when the mandatory time is up, and my license is not suspended anymore. NY state attaches another 5 years, but it is not 5 years of suspension, just an additional "wait time" because of the DWI's.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I realize that, but I will not be applying until 2017 when the mandatory time is up, and my license is not suspended anymore. NY state attaches another 5 years, but it is not 5 years of suspension, just an additional "wait time" because of the DWI's.
I suspect that it will show up as a suspension. You should check with the NY DMV.

lenihan54

I suspect that it will show up as a suspension. You should check with the NY DMV.
I did, it is only a suspension until 2017, If I try to get my license in NY in 2017, they will not grant it, because NY has an additional "punishment" of waiting 5 more years. But it will not be suspended at that time.

Dave1952

While I agree with Zigner, I'm just guessing. You have 2 yrs to e-mail the various state DMVs. Or you can hire a lawyer.

FlyingRon

You are REVOKED in NY. Nobody will issue until you RESOLVE the problem in NY. You need to wait out the revocation period, reinstate there, and then you can think about elsewhere.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
...additional "punishment" of waiting 5 more years. But it will not be suspended at that time.
Yes it will be - either suspended or revoked. There is no other description for your situation if the DMV will not restore your driving privilege.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">