• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My 19 year old son had a bac of .01

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

afraidformyson

What is the name of your state? California
My 19 year old son was pulled over for loud exhaust(for which he didn't receive a ticket for) and was given a breathalyzer because he admitted he had drank 1 beer 3-4 hours earlier. He registered .01 and was given a citation for 23136(a). Then the officer let him drive home. I am afraid for him. He just moved away from home and has never been in trouble except for a speeding ticket (which he is suppose to go to traffic school for soon). He just started a new job that looks very promising and this seems like it could ruin his life. If he doesn't have a license he won't be able to go to work. His insurance is already sky high because of his age. What can we expect to happen and any advice as to what we should be doing now would be appreciated. He is requesting a DMV hearing but we don't know how to prepare for it. One more thing that probably doesn't matter is the officer put the wrong date on the citation.
Thanks for any help

moburkes

What is the name of your state? California
My 19 year old son was pulled over for loud exhaust(for which he didn't receive a ticket for) and was given a breathalyzer because he admitted he had drank 1 beer 3-4 hours earlier. He registered .01 and was given a citation for 23136(a). Then the officer let him drive home. I am afraid for him. He just moved away from home and has never been in trouble except for a speeding ticket (which he is suppose to go to traffic school for soon). He just started a new job that looks very promising and this seems like it could ruin his life. If he doesn't have a license he won't be able to go to work. His insurance is already sky high because of his age. What can we expect to happen and any advice as to what we should be doing now would be appreciated. He is requesting a DMV hearing but we don't know how to prepare for it. One more thing that probably doesn't matter is the officer put the wrong date on the citation.
Thanks for any help
You can expect for his license to be suspended, and his insurance to be higher. He needs to start looking for a 2nd job that's on the bus line.

xylene

No, I just was pointed out that this is a relatively minor infraction.

Their will be no court, just a DMV hearing. It is possible your son will have his license revoked or suspended. He may be fined.

The fact that the police allowed him to drive away may or may not be a defense. The timeline of drinking and his admission may be relevant.

If you have means, consider retaining a lawyer for your son. A lawyer may not be able to change the inevitable outcome, so consider that issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">