• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Buddy needs Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

paguy88

What is the name of your state? PA

OK I have this friend who I lived next too until a few months back when I moved. We still keep in touch every week.. all and all a good guy.

Back in July of 06 he passed out at the wheel of the car from high blood pressure. wrecked no one got hurt.. he also had a .082 BAC got charged with DUI. Went thru ARD classes fine etc...and is close to the end of his probation.

sounds good so far...

well he is still drinking and driving... just last week he was following a friend over his house after a night out that he admitted he was drunk to me.. His friend got pulled over.. and he was dumb enough to circle around and a cop followed him.. never the less for what ever reason he was not pulled over but still told me he was drunk..

He won't stop drinking and I am concerned for him.. I would figure after getting away with one mistake you would not want to put yourself in that position again and he just won't listen! I told him he you get caught again its treated as a 2nd offence for sentencing.... and even worse if you hurt or even kill someone ITS MUCH WORSE...

He stated to me that well it's just major highways to get home so I will only drive those when he drinks... he considers that safe drinking and driving

What can I do too help him? nothing ? wait until he gets caught again and tell him told you so see you in 30days? or even worse 25 years if he was to kill someone? call the cops one night when he is out drinking? I am lost how to help him.. anyone have any advise?

I don't know if he has a drinking problem or not I dont live with him to know... But what I dont get was the state GAVE HIM A PASS with ARD.. and he is still doing it...

I want to see him stop but what can I do? before he hurts himself or someone else.

Sorry for the thread just don't know where else to ask..

if you guys don't feel this thread is worthy of the forum please delete it. thanks

Last edited:

corona_extra

Suggest a Personal Alchol meter

First of all, i wonder how can he still drive drunk? After going thru ARD & all pain. I would suggest to buy a Personal Alcohol Detector and to take test before driving. Second offense is too complicated to handle.

This may seem absurd, but have some questions for you.. I was caught (first offense) in Nov in PA, BAC 0.140 and I gave up alcohol !! not able drink since then :( I have appointed an attorney to handle my case. Costs & Expenses are too high to handle and I have a different state license(MD).

If you know details of ARD Program, can you tell me about expenses, points, classes, community service, duration of license suspension, total duration of case and any other details. Thank you very much.

Last edited by a moderator:

paguy88

First of all, i wonder how can he still drive drunk? After going thru ARD & all pain. I would suggest to buy a Personal Alcohol Detector and to take test before driving. Second offense is too complicated to handle.

This may seem absurd, but have some questions for you.. I was caught (first offense) in Nov in PA, BAC 0.140 and I gave up alcohol !! not able drink since then :( I have appointed an attorney to handle my case. Costs & Expenses are too high to handle and I have a different state license(MD).

If you know details of ARD Program, can you tell me about expenses, points, classes, community service, duration of license suspension, total duration of case and any other details. Thank you very much.
sure man.. here is what I know.

ARD will run you 1200-1400K what county did you get the DUI in?

Community service I dont know depends on what county mine gives none others more rural do..

with a .14 BAC you will lose you licnese for 30 days now PA can not suspend your MD licenese however I have no idea what MD will do when they get wind of the 30 suspension from PA. You will not be able to drive in PA for the 30days as I understand it.

Probation will be 6 months - 1 year- in my county is is unsupervised.. I am not sure how other counties work again what county are you in?

If you got nabbed in Nov... its about 1 year maybe a 1 1/2 until its over then another 6 months for expungement. give or take. and if you dont pay your fines by then end of the probation they will just extend the probation until all fines are paid or if no effort is made to pay the fine then they will go after the DUI charge.

learn your lession seems my friend has not thus far

oh you will have to get a evaluation as to the extent of your involvement with drugs and booze this will determine how many classes you have to go too... bank on at 12 1/2 hours of achaol driving school and maybe more depending on how your eval goes... maybe another 12 of councling plus AA meeting or worse another 12 and more AA meeting and it could get worse...

so what I mean is if they ask do you do drugs I would say no or its going to be more classes.

good luck

Last edited:

FlyingRon

and if he gets arrested prior to the ARD probation ending, all that pain is for naught as they'll start over with a conviction for that first offense.

paguy88

and if he gets arrested prior to the ARD probation ending, all that pain is for naught as they'll start over with a conviction for that first offense.

excelent point... he would end up with two charges...

I just don't know how to get across to him or even if I can.

corona_extra

Thank you all..

Thanks a lot for your time and writing....
I guess I am into more complication..MD DUI laws are more punishing than PA...

I was in Cumberland county (Camphill/Harrisburg)....
Here is the worst part --> I was in MD, caught in PA, now I am living in NJ.. sure to face lot of paper work issues..

As of now, my insurance rates have not increased.. was just wondering how will it be affected in the process. Will paying in advance for an year do any good?

Thanks again..

Last edited:

FlyingRon

The NJ auto insurance system is the most corrupt in the nation. You will almost certainly end up in the JUA and there's nothing you can do to mitigate the gouging you're going to be in for short of moving to some other state.

paguy88

The NJ auto insurance system is the most corrupt in the nation. You will almost certainly end up in the JUA and there's nothing you can do to mitigate the gouging you're going to be in for short of moving to some other state.

JUA

whats that?

paguy88

Thanks a lot for your time and writing....
I guess I am into more complication..MD DUI laws are more punishing than PA...

I was in Cumberland county (Camphill/Harrisburg)....
Here is the worst part --> I was in MD, caught in PA, now I am living in NJ.. sure to face lot of paper work issues..

As of now, my insurance rates have not increased.. was just wondering how will it be affected in the process. Will paying in advance for an year do any good?

Thanks again..
I would suggest paying your insurance ON TIME. dont give them a reason too look at your drivers record. paying late is one.

FlyingRon

JUA

whats that?
Joint Underwriting Association. Essentially an insurance pool for the third of the population in NJ that the conventional insurance companies have no incentive to write policies for it. In addition to much higher rates and bureaucratic inefficiency, even safe drivers in the state get gouged via a surcharge to support it. When I moved from NJ to norther VA my entire policy was almost less than my contribution to the JUA underwriting (from the same insurer).

This is what happens when the entire State Legislature is comprised of Personal Injury lawyers.

corona_extra

Done with Pre-liminary hearing

Yesterday was my pre-liminary hearing and nothing significant at all...
I was given a second hearing appointment at a different court, after 2.5 months, I was fingerprinted, photographed, let go on bail.

All i did was accept certain conditions and nothing more..
I was very confused as the judge didn't ask any details about DUI incidence

Will jury ever ask about the incidence during next hearing?
When should i request them to reduce fine or not to suspend license or anything?

This is taking a loooooong time...

paguy88

its going to take a long time between the inccodent and expungment 1 1/2 -2 years...

best thing to do is dont lose your job if you can help it... until it get expunged.

many companies run criminal background checks and the charge will show up until you get expunged.

oh your next step is a arraignment. in my county is not even infront of a judge.. a paper work process..

with ARD the jury will never see you... only time you will see the judge again is at the ARD hearing where basically you get offically sworn into the program..

seniorjudge

its going to take a long time between the inccodent and expungment 1 1/2 -2 years...

best thing to do is dont lose your job if you can help it... until it get expunged.

many companies run criminal background checks and the charge will show up until you get expunged.
Really?

Why do you think that?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">