• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

N. California Case Dismissed per PC1385 ( minus manifesto, PLUS gratitude)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CdwJava

What can one say concerning the author's opinion? It is what it is. One can agree or disagree, but ultimately all we can do is nod, shake our head, shrug, or pump a fist in the air in solidarity with the opinions set forth. No matter the thought, the world - and the criminal justice system - will continue to roll on as it has the day before the article and in the many days to follow.

rbennettucm

Thank you, Carl...you made my day.

I must admit, I was genuinely hoping you would weigh in.

It is not at all my intention to rip into law enforcement officials here; I have phenomenal respect for those (like yourself) who volunteer to carry the gauntlet and shoulder the burden of responsibility for our societal safety, but up until my legal difficulties I honestly had little belief in the existence of more than a very few public servants failing to do their duty with the level of integrity I expect each professional officer of the peace would wish to hold themselves to....and I've struggled to regain my trust in representatives of civic peacekeeping since becoming disillusioned. It is my great hope that I may learn more here on these forums which may aid me in my quest for closure and .reconciliation. I have read quite a decent number of your previous posts and I feel obliged to tell you that I am very hopeful that I there are many more law officers out in the world like you than the few who have lety me so cynical. If so, then I am certain we may all look forward to better days ahead.

Thank you, again.

quincy

rbennettucm, I certainly hope you are a writer by profession. If not, you should be. Your writing style is magnificent. :)

You ask if law enforcement officers fabricating testimony is ubiquitous. Although I admit my perception of the matter may be slightly distorted due to the area of Michigan where I work and reside (Detroit), I think it is a problem throughout the U.S.

In Detroit, in the early 2000s, we had a major police corruption case. It involved several police officers who were indicted for writing phony police reports to support false arrests based on planted evidence. The investigation not only uncovered illegal searches but the theft by officers of weapons, drugs and money. Hundreds of cases where the officers had testified had to be reviewed, and many of these cases were either dismissed or the convictions were overturned.

The lies by law enforcement officers, both on police reports and when testifying under oath, did not end with the end of that investigation, though.

As recently as last month, a county sheriff in this area was fired after conducting an illegal search of a home and then lying on the witness stand. A hundred or so cases where he testified are now being reviewed. Some of the cases where he had involvement have already been dismissed.

Many of the officers who have been "caught lying," both in the 2002-2003 corruption trial and in recent years, have been in law enforcement a long time. Some of the officers have been on special narcotics enforcement squads.

Today, in Detroit and its surrounding area, I would guess that many citizens (including judges) are not nearly as naive as they once were. There is definitely a greater media focus and reporting on corruption in our area. Former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick and his various and assorted cohorts are on trial and a Detroit judge was just removed from the bench for fraud and these are our front page stories in the papers and the lead-off stories on television broadcasts (coupled with stories about Detroit's high homicide rate :().

That said, it is probably safe to say that the perception of the majority is still that a court will trust the testimony of a law enforcement officer over that of a person arrested and charged with a crime, to the extent that several defendants have been found who figured the cards were already stacked against them and so they agreed to plead guilty on lesser charges to crimes they never committed in the first place.

Late edit to add:
Released in March of last year was a 50-state study on state government transparency, accountability and anti-corruption efforts, conducted by the Center for Public Integrity, Global Integrity and Public Radio International. The study can be accessed through http://www.stateintegrity.org.

In response to the study, which rated the state of Michigan as an "F" (no state was rated an A, and only five states received a B), Michigan formed a multi-agency task force to address public corruption. As a note, California was one of the "B" states.

Last edited:

davew128

I'll just add that there's a HUGE problem in Massachusetts right now where THOUSANDS of cases are tainted by a state chemist who deliberately falsified results in drug cases in favor of the commonwealth.

quincy

I don't know why rbennettucm's original post disappeared (it was beautifully written) but, in his original post, he was asking our opinion of an article written by Michelle Alexander that appeared in the New York Times recently. The article is titled "Why police officers lie under oath" and it can be googled.

rbennettucm wondered if we thought the problem of police officers lying under oath was a widespread one.

The article information is provided, in case anyone else wanted to add to this thread. :)

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I don't know why rbennettucm's original post disappeared (it was beautifully written) but, in his original post, he was asking our opinion of an article written by Michelle Alexander that appeared in the New York Times recently. The article is titled "Why police officers lie under oath" and it can be googled.

rbennettucm wondered if we thought the problem of police officers lying under oath was a widespread one.

The article information is provided, in case anyone else wanted to add to this thread. :)
I will say one of my current criminal cases touches on this issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">