• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NC DUI/ NJvsPa residency

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

biggigia

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ/PA

I am in the midst of a trial for a DUI in NC. I believe I will most likely found guilty as that's been the result thus far and am on appeal already. The sentence in NC is relatively minor. My larger concern is which home state actually penalizes me. I am in the process of moving to PA for business. When I surrender my PA license, I'd assume PA will most likely suspend my license? Or will they report it to NJ? I'm curious because the two states seem to treat it pretty differently. Is it worth it to not change my license to PA until later or vice versa? Is there any chance the states never get around to communicating? Seems unlikely, but is that possible?

Thanks
BG

FlyingRon

You've lost me. NC will report their action to both the NDR and under the NRVC. Which ever state you have your license in will take action. If you are holding a Pennsylvania license and this is your first DUI, you won't even get suspended there.

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/fs-dlc.pdf

If you hoid a New Jersey license, it's a three month suspension for a first offense.

While you're under a suspension in NC you'll probably be blocked from obtaining a new license *ANYWHERE*.

biggigia

I got one in NJ in 2006, so it will be my 2 nd I think. I would be moving before I'd be convicted most likely. Does PA apply all of the penalties as if the offense occurred in Pa or are they just adding a suspension for an out of state Dui (that's what it seems like in that compact information sheet)?

FlyingRon

Technically they should suspend you, but I'm not sure they'll notice an old out of state conviction.

Frankly, I'd obey the law. If you've moved to PA, change your license. And stop driving drunk (especially in my state of NC).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">