• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help... It's the most insane situation I bet ever existed :-(

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Trs1978

I need to be able to get in front of a judge to ask him to please remove the license restriction or suspension on my California drivers license.
I got a DUI in 2001 and 2010 in the state of Indiana, I had a Hawaiian drivers license for the 2001 offense and a Indiana license for the 2010 offense.
I moved back to California in 2011, and applied for and received my California drivers license for the first time in November 2011. Seven months later I was hit on the freeway and informed that my drivers license was suspended because of the DUI in Indiana. Indiana had no problems with me, and it took me forever to find anybody who could tell me any information as to why my license was suspended in the first place.
I was told finally that California showed that I had a picture on file from 1995 and that it may be expired in 1998. My official California drivers record starts in 2011.
Hawaii, sigh.., destroyed all of my drivers records over 10 years ago after five years of inactivity. My Indiana drivers record clearly states that I had an Indiana drivers license for the 2010 DUI. And it clearly states that I got the DUI in 2001, as well as a secondary charge on my drivers record for failure to complete residency requirements. This is because I did not turn in my Hawaiian license and apply for an Indiana license within the amount of time I was supposed to. Had I not had a valid drivers license, Indiana would have charged me with a DUI and driving without a valid license not a failure to comply with residency requirements.
I am being told that I have to sign a waiver in order to get them to lift the suspension off my record so that I can get a drivers license anywhere at this point. However, I did not have a California drivers license at the time of either offense. I didn't live in California at the time of either offense.
The only shred of proof that I can obtain due to Hawaii's procedures of record destruction, is through the District Court on Maui in the form of something they don't know either, that states that I got him Hawaiian license in 1994, and renewed it in 1997 and it expiring at the end of 2001. I also had a traffic citation in Hawaii in 1998.
I was told that I could or I was told that a lawyer could request that the judge just order the suspension lifted and taken off of my California drivers record because of the links of time it has been since any of this happened and the fact that I think I've done enough to prove that I did not have a California license at the time of either offenses.

How can I do this myself? What can I do to just get California to fix their ridiculous mistakes and move on with my life and get a drivers license back without having to except responsibility for two more DUIs in the state of California for no reason?

ajkroy

I need to be able to get in front of a judge to ask him to please remove the license restriction or suspension on my California drivers license.
I got a DUI in 2001 and 2010 in the state of Indiana, I had a Hawaiian drivers license for the 2001 offense and a Indiana license for the 2010 offense.
I moved back to California in 2011, and applied for and received my California drivers license for the first time in November 2011. Seven months later I was hit on the freeway and informed that my drivers license was suspended because of the DUI in Indiana. Indiana had no problems with me, and it took me forever to find anybody who could tell me any information as to why my license was suspended in the first place.
I was told finally that California showed that I had a picture on file from 1995 and that it may be expired in 1998. My official California drivers record starts in 2011.
Hawaii, sigh.., destroyed all of my drivers records over 10 years ago after five years of inactivity. My Indiana drivers record clearly states that I had an Indiana drivers license for the 2010 DUI. And it clearly states that I got the DUI in 2001, as well as a secondary charge on my drivers record for failure to complete residency requirements. This is because I did not turn in my Hawaiian license and apply for an Indiana license within the amount of time I was supposed to. Had I not had a valid drivers license, Indiana would have charged me with a DUI and driving without a valid license not a failure to comply with residency requirements.
I am being told that I have to sign a waiver in order to get them to lift the suspension off my record so that I can get a drivers license anywhere at this point. However, I did not have a California drivers license at the time of either offense. I didn't live in California at the time of either offense.
The only shred of proof that I can obtain due to Hawaii's procedures of record destruction, is through the District Court on Maui in the form of something they don't know either, that states that I got him Hawaiian license in 1994, and renewed it in 1997 and it expiring at the end of 2001. I also had a traffic citation in Hawaii in 1998.
I was told that I could or I was told that a lawyer could request that the judge just order the suspension lifted and taken off of my California drivers record because of the links of time it has been since any of this happened and the fact that I think I've done enough to prove that I did not have a California license at the time of either offenses.

How can I do this myself? What can I do to just get California to fix their ridiculous mistakes and move on with my life and get a drivers license back without having to except responsibility for two more DUIs in the state of California for no reason?
I would think that if you simply showed California the proof of completion of the terms set out by the California courts for each DUI (fines, classes, extra insurance coverage, whatever jail time was imposed, if any), they would lift the suspension. But that is just a reasonable person's method of thinking. Stand by for the experts to reply.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">