• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Jersey DUI and background checks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I got a DUI a year ago. I know in NJ it is *not* considered a criminal offense. So if an application asks this question: "Have you ever been convicted in this state or elsewhere of any criminal offense that is a misdemeanor or felony?",
then, from what I understand, it is a traffic violation here. So, in this question, I can answer no?

Also, if I am applying for a job that does background checks, but say, NOT a motor vehicle records check, would it show up in a regular background check? *Please* only answer if you know how this works specifically in New Jersey.

Thank you for any help.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I am answering the second question only and the answer is valid in all 50 states, including NJ.

There is no such thing as a standard background check that will always show exactly the same answers. What shows in any given check, in any state including NJ, depends on what information the employer asks for and how deeply or thoroughly they investigate.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I got a DUI a year ago. I know in NJ it is *not* considered a criminal offense. So if an application asks this question: "Have you ever been convicted in this state or elsewhere of any criminal offense that is a misdemeanor or felony?",
then, from what I understand, it is a traffic violation here. So, in this question, I can answer no?
was the DUI conviction in NJ? if yes, then i'd answer no. Under NJ law, DUI is a motor vehicle violation. BUT if the DUI conviction was in a state where DUI is a crime, then a criminal record does exist.

FlyingRon

Of course, nothing stops them from pulling your drivers records either, especially if you're in some capacity involving driving. All 50 states will report DUIs for that purpose.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">