• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Probation in Duval County While Existing VOP in St. John's County

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lomlina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FLORIDA

Hi!

My friend was on DUI probation in St. John's county, Florida, but had another DUI in Duval, and was arrested. While he was in jail in Duval county, St. John's violated his probation.

He was released and put under 1 year probation in Duval, but was taken to St. John's county jail for VOP where he is now waiting for trial. There's no bond.

He is afraid to mess up his probation in Duval county, especially if St. John's gives him time for VOP. What can he do? I am trying to call Probation Office but no one picks up.

He didn't even have a chance to meet his Duval county probation officer, because he was never released, they just took him from one jail to another. And if he has to do time, he won't be able to pay fines and report.

BigMistakeFl

I just love St. Augustine.... one of my favorite places. St. George Street with all those quaint shops and pubs. Brings back fond memories. Stogies is a great little place to hear real live local jazz, if you ever get back there. Jacksonville is a little more spread out, takes lots of driving to get from one end to the other.

As for messing up St. John's probation by being held in Duval, I'm betting each county already knows about the other, or will very quickly. You are right in starting by contacting his PO in St. John's County. Don't worry that you are letting the "cat out of the bag" there, it's probably already found the litter box. Consecutive probations and jail sentences can be imposed in FL. He's going to need a lawyer to attempt to get things in sync.

SIN EATER

Quote BigMistakeFl:
Don't worry that you are letting the "cat out of the bag" there, it's probably already found the litter box.

Glorious!!

Lomlina

Thank you SO much for replies. Well, I contacted his probation office in Duval county, and because he is held in St. John's right after his release (therefore in fact was never released) they said that we shouldn't worry and they will suspend the probation till the time he gets out. So it's solved.

Now we have to deal with VOP in St. John's county. We really don't have budget for an attorney so we go with Public Defender. On the other hand, if I was sure that the Attorney can manage to ROR him (it is still a month before the court and I am desperate paying all the bills) and make them let him go, I would find the money. He completed all the conditions of probation already. But if I spend the money for attorney and then he still has to go to jail, I will also be in trouble with no money... Please advise me something....

Lomlina

BTW BigMistakeFl, if you love St. Augustine and go listen to local bands, you might have heard my friend - he is a well-known local keyboard player and have played with many people there. :)

BigMistakeFl

I have probably heard him play at one place or another. We used to have a second home there, on the island, and always went for local entertainment.

As for public defender, you need to know that it is not optional. In order to get one, your friend must prove that he is unable to find the money and pay for a lawyer. He will complete a financial affadavit in the application process.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">