• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New York - DUID - Marijuana

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

whattoexpect

Hi, just wanted to explain my situation and try to gauge what to expect before talking to a lawyer later today.

Basically, here's what happened.

I was stopped at a checkpoint in Manhattan. We had just been smoking; the officer stuck his head inside my vehicle and said he detected the strong odor of marijauna etc etc. I admitted to smoking several hours before (I was in my mother's vehicle and I was with my cousins from out of town, I wanted to make sure they didn't get in trouble and my mom's car didn't get torn apart because of me denying anything) and explained that I didn't have any more marijuana on me. I was being as cooperative and straightforward as possible.

They still took me in on DUI charges. I passed both the breathalyzer and the field sobriety test (both twice). I wasn't charged with possession, they didn't catch us in the act, and I was not impaired.

I have 2 questions:
1) What, in your opinion, is the right course of action to take
2) The court ordered a substance screening that I have to take within the next 5 days. a) this is only a urinalysis correct? and b) what implications do the results of that test have on my DMV hearing AND my case? (only marijuana would be found on the screening)What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">