• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NJ Interlock Violation - what do I expect

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

djspastic

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I read a similar thread, from 2011. But I would like to ask anyway.

So I have an interlock device after DUI#2. It's been almost six months now. I am not on probation.

I had one false positive for Mouthwash the first month I had the car (truth, I have been very good with my device, and typically do not drink anymore), but i passed the immediate retest.

This past Friday, I drank and got carried away. Saturday I woke up with an extreme hangover, and decided to stay where I was, eat, drink a lot of water, and wait until the hangover passed before even attempting to start my vehicle. a good 16 hours had passed since i had any alcohol. Alas, I thought I was finally recovered, and I was not. I went out to my car, and blew a fail. I panicked, and i did not retest. I figured, if I blew a fail, i shouldn't be in the car yet. I went back inside, house, decided to drink more water, wait it out longer, and try again later. An hour later, I passed, with a "warn" started the car, and shut it right back off. I decided to wait a little while longer before driving. 2 hours, I blew a regular "pass" and drove. everything was fine.

I expect a violation will be recorded for not retesting after my fail, even though it was not a "rolling retest"

So, i know the best advice is "don't take the risk ever again". but is there any information someone can give me on what I might expect as a result of this incident?

Thank You.

Sincerely,

Stupid in NJ.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I read a similar thread, from 2011. But I would like to ask anyway.

So I have an interlock device after DUI#2. It's been almost six months now. I am not on probation.

I had one false positive for Mouthwash the first month I had the car (truth, I have been very good with my device, and typically do not drink anymore), but i passed the immediate retest.

This past Friday, I drank and got carried away. Saturday I woke up with an extreme hangover, and decided to stay where I was, eat, drink a lot of water, and wait until the hangover passed before even attempting to start my vehicle. a good 16 hours had passed since i had any alcohol. Alas, I thought I was finally recovered, and I was not. I went out to my car, and blew a fail. I panicked, and i did not retest. I figured, if I blew a fail, i shouldn't be in the car yet. I went back inside, house, decided to drink more water, wait it out longer, and try again later. An hour later, I passed, with a "warn" started the car, and shut it right back off. I decided to wait a little while longer before driving. 2 hours, I blew a regular "pass" and drove. everything was fine.

I expect a violation will be recorded for not retesting after my fail, even though it was not a "rolling retest"

So, i know the best advice is "don't take the risk ever again". but is there any information someone can give me on what I might expect as a result of this incident?

Thank You.

Sincerely,

Stupid in NJ.
You could find yourself with NO means of driving. The car could be impounded. You could be jailed. Or you might be put on the interlock longer.

djspastic

You could find yourself with NO means of driving. The car could be impounded. You could be jailed. Or you might be put on the interlock longer.
I appreciate your reply. I hope it IS just an extension of interlock time at this point.

I called the attorney who represented me for my DUI case, and asked to consult, but he said until I receive a charge I shouldn't come in and spend any money on a consultation. He said there are a range of charges from minor to major.

I suppose I will have to wait it out. And hope NJ doesn't slap me that hard for a first time fail.

djspastic

Failed after 16 hours + 2 DUI = severe drinking problem.

You need to quit drinking or driving. Completely and permanently.
Yes, i do need to quit drinking. And I have been good until this past weekend. Obviously this bothers me if It's Wednesday and already it's on my mind and giving me major stress since this happened Saturday. I already felt the need to call the lawyer and ask advice on a blog.

I appreciate what you're saying. My question was simply to ask if anyone has any knowledge of other experiences or consequences in a case like mine.

It is my full intention not to have any other fails on this, but I am simply trying to ascertain what I may be facing for now. I'm afraid to ask advice or questions to the nice people who work at my service company. And I know very little. I'm not trying to cheat my way out, just plan ahead.

djspastic

For information to those who read this post (since i read in other posts that people do not follow up once they attain a result)

I called the nice people at my service company. They explained the rules to me:

In NJ: You are allowed 3 fails a month prior to starting the car. If you find yourself with #3 you are in trouble.

This was my first. And last.

To the two people who gave me stern advice: I appreciate it. And even though my stress was over lack of knowledge of the rules, it was enough to scare me. I do not endorse using your IID as a type of litmus test. That certainly was not what I was trying to do here. IF you think you are good to go, wait. Be sure. and then wait again. Don't play with fire as I just have.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">