• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No car registered.. IID required?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hotdog1

New York:

I'll start off by saying I have cleaned up my act and no longer drink and drive under any circumstances. I am on probation, and will be getting my license back and will be required to have an IID installed on any car I drive. I cannot afford this unit, and heard horror stories about it. I'm trying to avoid getting this installed. If my car is registered in someone elses name, how, and should, I approach my probation officer with this situation?

You Are Guilty

New York:

I'll start off by saying I have cleaned up my act and no longer drink and drive under any circumstances. I am on probation, and will be getting my license back and will be required to have an IID installed on any car I drive. I cannot afford this unit, and heard horror stories about it. I'm trying to avoid getting this installed. If my car is registered in someone elses name, how, and should, I approach my probation officer with this situation?
You should not. If "your" car is registered in someone else's name, it is not your car. And if get caught driving someone else's car that doesn't have an interlock, lots of bad things will happen to you that you probably already know about.

FlyingRon

Sorry, but there is NO WAY you are going to drive without the interlock. They want any car you own (or drive regularly) to have the interlock first because they presume you're going to drive it.

In addition, your license will have a restriction added to it as well. If you're caught driving a car without an interlock, you will both be in violation of your probation and subject to the new charge for that violation.

The cost of this thing isn't hat much (it's running about $180 it appears and monthly monitoring is only about $80). If you think that is expensive, wait until you see what your insurance rates are going to run!

hotdog1

Thanks for the info. I'll just go ahead and do what I need to do, so in six months it will be off for good.

Do you think this device has improved at all so I won't run into so many problems I have heard of people having?

Also, I know it requires re-test at random times, but what is the average duration in between retests? It doesn't go off every minute does it?

woodykas

Do you think this device has improved at all so I won't run into so many problems I have heard of people having?

Also, I know it requires re-test at random times, but what is the average duration in between retests? It doesn't go off every minute does it?
yep, modern Drager interlock devices works fine and do not drain battery or register false positives. if configured by default first retest should be - up to 10 minutes from engine start, all others - from 10 - to 30 minutes periods.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">