• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

North Carolina DMV Hearing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ducksign

Hello and thank you for taking the time to read this inquiry.

My situation:

Three DUI convictions over fifteen years ago
Five driving while license revoked, the latest over ten years ago
DL Permanently revoked
Restoration hearing about 11 years ago (no attorney), summarily refused
Currently eligible for DMV hearing (from 2002)
Ten years clean record

Should I get a lawyer? Will that increase the likelihood of me getting a license?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
OK, any REAL advice? If you just want to make snide comments, please don't bother.

It is very shocking to me that people can have such a flippant attitude when talking about someone's LIFE. Without a license at this point, my life will be seriously hindered, possibly to the point of poverty. You take that lightly? Says a lot about you, I think.
Quite frankly the only chance you have is to get an attorney. You have a severely bad driving record. You will have to look into getting public transportation most likely.

ducksign

TY for the reply.

So, the fact that these offenses occurred over ten years ago doesn't have any bearing on my disposition? One might think that the passage of time with no further offenses would count for something.

BTW I don't live in an area where public transportation is available.

To answer the (probable) next question (how have you survived for the past ten years?):

Long Story, but... After my last DUI conviction I decided to try and turn my life around. I started college, got a 2-year degree from a local community college and transferred to a university. All the while being on probation and without a license. My parents helped me. This was a very stressful situation for everyone involved, but we muddled through it. I did not drive any more, although I had driven regularly before (4 DWLR).

After 3 years I had my DMV hearing scheduled and was very optimistic considering the changes I had made in my life. I went to the hearing, well prepared, and was refused point blank.

By this time I had had to stop going to college for financial reasons.

After that I started driving again and got another DWLR. I then decided I had to do something else. America isn't set up for people without cars, unless you live in New York or somewhere similar.

I moved to Japan and became an English teacher, working in public junior high schools and elsewhere. Plenty of public transportation there. After ten years I decided to come back, and here I am.

I am living with my parents, unemployed, out in the country, with very little money. I am currently in the process of returning to school to finish my degree. I have to get a job. I want to go back to school. I need a driver's license. My parents are in no condition to deal with all this stuff again. They want to help, but I am trying to be as little of a burden as I can be considering the circumstances.

I fully understand the state of my "bed" and how it came to be in that condition. I am just trying to get back to some semblance of a normal life.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">