• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

not a conviction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rajuncajun22

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

I was stopped on a military installation for drving under the influence. I was punished under UCMJ and my license was sent to the state and was suspended for 90 days. Because I was punished through the military i wasn't convicted of a DUI, but my driving record has the history of a suspension for a substance test. State Farm dropped me and my insurance rates are really high now. The military lawyer I spoke with said if it were a conviction I could have it expunged; is there any way to clean my driving record if it wasn't a conviction? Thanks for any advice. rajuncajun

That is an interesting issue. I have been in police work for eighteen years. I have seen in some instances where given a certain problem such as yours or simular...people have wrote the Judge a letter explaining the facts and that you know you messed up and request that if any way possible the citation be taken from your DMV record. In most States the Judge has the power to write to the Department of Motor Vehicles and have citations removed. Of course it would have to be the Judge that has the jurisdiction. If I were you...I would at least try and write a letter to your Judge and explain the delima. I believe it would be worth a shot. A lot may depend on your past driving record too.Make clear that you messed up and are trying to clean up your life and habits. Keep in mind that most of the letters to the Judge that I was aware of were for violations But, I think it's worth a shot. Most Staes DUII's are a crime however, the driving record part could be recended................I hope the Senior Judge reads this, I would be curious to know if he has heard of this. Good Luck. Not Advice For what it's worth Patrolman/J. Buckner

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">