• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NY DUI/DWI Info Needed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ILuvMyBuckeyes

What is the name of your state? We live in MI and need to know about NY

In 1991, my husband received a DUI/DWI (don't really know -- he doesn't have the papers any longer -- 16 years is a long time!) in upstate NY. He refused to blow -- spent the weekend in jail. He went to court a few weeks later with a lawyer, accepted the charges, paid his fines, court costs, and attny fees, and until today thought it was well over and done with -- lesson learned -- etc etc.

Today, in going into get his MI DL re-newed, he was told he needed to clear the NDR (National Data Record) in NY before re-newing. In calling the NY number given to him here he was told that he need to pay $225 for "Refusal to take a Breathalyzer".

4 Questions:

1. Why 16 years later are we hearing something?

2. Why would this have not been included with all other court costs?

3. Is there no limit for the State of NY to collect monies and flag DL's?

4. If MI and NY do not have reciprocity -- why can he not re-new his DL here in MI?

Thanks for any advice -- we can't afford for him to lose his license -- especially for something so ridiculous as this supposed fine 16 years later!!!

ILuvMyBuckeyes

Ok -- thanks for the info -- the NY DMV website (as most states) is not very good at getting you to the info you desire -- I think that is so you must go and stand in line -- validating the existence of the offices! :) But we will do some more investigating.

I think I am going to contact an NY attny and see what advice they might have -- being 16 years later and new laws in place -- it's hard to find info that applies to our situation.

Thanks again!

BL

Ok -- thanks for the info -- the NY DMV website (as most states) is not very good at getting you to the info you desire -- I think that is so you must go and stand in line -- validating the existence of the offices! :) But we will do some more investigating.

I think I am going to contact an NY attny and see what advice they might have -- being 16 years later and new laws in place -- it's hard to find info that applies to our situation.

Thanks again!
DMV may be willing to take a lowered fine amount to settle the account .

Try contacting the THE DMV office where the offense occurred and speak to a supervisor .

They did this with my plates once . I had over 800 dollar fine they settled for about 300 cash .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">