• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

open container while on probation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lude269

What is the name of your state? Louisiana
I was recently convicted of and put on probation for a dwi. Last weekend I got an open container ticket while riding with friends. Is this a violation of my probation? Will I go to jail?

Last edited:

Indiana Filer

No that's not one of the conditions. But one is to not break the law.
Are you sure it's not a condition of your probation? Many states have something like the following as a standard condition: "You shall not consume any alcoholic beverage or controlled substance unless legally prescribed by a licensed physician."

But anyway, since you have been ordered to not break any laws, yes, you are in violation.

Are you in a drug court program, or just regular probation?

--I'm a probation officer.

BigMistakeFl

BigMistakeFl

It is certainly a condition of probation in my state of Florida. Said it in wiriting, and the PO had the authority to drop by and test me at will.

I didn't touch a drop until my probation was well over.

lude269

Are you sure it's not a condition of your probation? Many states have something like the following as a standard condition: "You shall not consume any alcoholic beverage or controlled substance unless legally prescribed by a licensed physician."

But anyway, since you have been ordered to not break any laws, yes, you are in violation.

Are you in a drug court program, or just regular probation?

--I'm a probation officer.
I'm sure it's not a condition of my probation. I even asked my p.o. if I'm allowed to go to bars and he said yes. It's just regular probation. I had to do a dwi class but I did that before I went to court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">