• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

open intox in public

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dolly4424

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

In 2008, I had just turned 21 and was in kalamazoo at the time. I did not know you could not walk down a public street with a beer can open. A cop stopped me and gave me a ticket for it. It said to appear at the court house at a certain date. I appeared at the court house and all they asked for was a $100 fine. I did not have a trial or go to jail.

Would this be considered a conviction of a civil infraction or a misdemeanor?

quincy

dolly could have been ticketed under a Kalamazoo City code violation.

The MCL should be, for public intoxication, MCL 750.168 Disorderly Persons. This covers all sorts of offenses, including causing a public disturbance while intoxicated. There are also disturbing the peace and open intoxication ordinances in Kalamazoo.

All are charged as misdemeanors with possible jail time and fines up to $500. It is possible for a first offense that diversion is offered, but dolly should remember community service hours served while under probation if that was the case.

When you pay a ticketed fine, you are by that act admitting guilt. You are waiving your right to a trial. So. . . you could have a misdemeanor on your record. You can call the court to find out.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Would this be considered a conviction of a civil infraction or a misdemeanor?
Since you have no clue what you were charged with and admitted guilt to you need to go back to the courthouse to find the answer to your question.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">