• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Oregon - revoked Driving Priviliges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

danvail

What is the name of your state? Oregon

I currently live in OK and have for the last 14 years - I left OR about 14 years ago. Apparently my license is revoked in OR due to some unpaid fines over 14 years ago. OR and OK do not participate in the same interstate compact as their driving laws are not compatible to each other. I recently received a demand for payment from a collection agency.

Two questions -

1. Is there a statute of limitations on how long OR can deny my privilege to drive in another state?

2. Does the fact that the collections activities were turned over to a collection agency subject the debt to civil statute of limitations?

Thank you

JustAPal00

There is no SOL on tickets. If the two states don't participate in the compact now then you have nothing to fear. If they do at a later date, then it may come back to haunt you!

danvail

There is no SOL on tickets. If the two states don't participate in the compact now then you have nothing to fear. If they do at a later date, then it may come back to haunt you!

That's where the catch comes in - OK has denied me the privilege to drive based on OR revocation. There is no administrative appeal option available to point out the simple fact that OR and OK are in different compacts and if they are going to enforce the OR laws then they should follow the OR law and allow for a hardship license to work.

That's the point - not having a license has impacted me financially where I am unable to pay the tickets - stuck between a rock and a hard spot.

It seems the only option according to OK law is to somehow petition the District court. They don't point out how or what form this should take - only that the petition would be defended by the DA.

Any suggestion as to form would be appreciated.

FlyingRon

That's where the catch comes in - OK has denied me the privilege to drive based on OR revocation. There is no administrative appeal option available to point out the simple fact that OR and OK are in different compacts and if they are going to enforce the OR laws then they should follow the OR law and allow for a hardship license to work.
What makes you think the absence of the compact is grounds to appeal (administratively or otherwise). The compact is just an agreement to share information. The statute says that you may not have a Oklahoma license when your privilege to drive is withdrawn in another state.

They are not "enforcing" Oregon law. They are not obligated to follow the same rules with regard to license restoration or restricted license. What you need to do is your privileges restore in Oregon. That's one of the quirks about leaving things suspended in other states. It is almost always the case that even a restricted license in one state is a TOTAL BAR to getting any license in another state.

What makes you think even the district court is going to rule favorably on you?

You need to be negotiation with Oregon, not Oklahoma, to take care of the suspension. They may offer you a payment plan.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">