• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out of state DUI back to haunt me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Arjen

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut

over 3 years ago i plead to a DUI in New York. the penalty was approximately $1500 in fines and a 6 month suspension of my driving privileges in New York. i did not have a NY license, but my lawyer said the suspension may be shared with Connecticut so be on the lookout for any mail from the CT DMV. no notice came, i paid the NY fines and considered the matter behind me.

Thursday i was pulled over here in CT and the officer told me my licence was suspended. the officer did not arrest me, but told me i was driving without a license right now so i would be arrested if i were to be pulled over again by another officer.

Friday i spent over an hour on the phone with the DMV here and various agencies in NY and these are the facts as i understand them:
-NY shows that i did not pay the full amount of my fines.
-my driving privileges in NY are suspended indefinitely.
-this suspension was shared with the Connecticut DMV and my CT licence is suspended until the NY suspension is cleared.
-there *might* be some sort of warrant for me from NY for not complying with the conditions of my plea. this comes from a clerk at the NY courthouse saying "that's what usually happens", she wouldn't look up my name to confirm her theory.

i don't know what to do. i paid my fines completely within 3 months to get this situation resolved so i could forget about it. should i fight this here in CT, and if so how? no one i talked to from NY agencies was helpful at all; it seems everyone wanted me to come back so they could arrest me and extort more $$$ from me. i owe nothing in NY, but its like they're holding my license hostage. what should i do? i'dd appreciate any answers or advice and will check back frequently to provide any necessary clarification.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut

over 3 years ago i plead to a DUI in New York. the penalty was approximately $1500 in fines and a 6 month suspension of my driving privileges in New York. i did not have a NY license, but my lawyer said the suspension may be shared with Connecticut so be on the lookout for any mail from the CT DMV. no notice came, i paid the NY fines and considered the matter behind me.

Thursday i was pulled over here in CT and the officer told me my licence was suspended. the officer did not arrest me, but told me i was driving without a license right now so i would be arrested if i were to be pulled over again by another officer.

Friday i spent over an hour on the phone with the DMV here and various agencies in NY and these are the facts as i understand them:
-NY shows that i did not pay the full amount of my fines.
-my driving privileges in NY are suspended indefinitely.
-this suspension was shared with the Connecticut DMV and my CT licence is suspended until the NY suspension is cleared.
-there *might* be some sort of warrant for me from NY for not complying with the conditions of my plea. this comes from a clerk at the NY courthouse saying "that's what usually happens", she wouldn't look up my name to confirm her theory.

i don't know what to do. i paid my fines completely within 3 months to get this situation resolved so i could forget about it. should i fight this here in CT, and if so how? no one i talked to from NY agencies was helpful at all; it seems everyone wanted me to come back so they could arrest me and extort more $$$ from me. i owe nothing in NY, but its like they're holding my license hostage. what should i do? i'dd appreciate any answers or advice and will check back frequently to provide any necessary clarification.
You need an attorney in New York who can go to the court on your behalf and work to get things figured out. Alternatively, you could take a trip there, but it sounds like you want to avoid arrest.

Arjen

is there nothing you can recommend me doing short of hiring an attorney to get clarification on my situation? i want to avoid paying a lawyer to make calls and ask questions i can do myself if at all possible. anything i can do here in CT to get my license back before dealing with the BS in New York?

OHRoadwarrior

You need to deal with the NY court first. I suggest you take a jaunt down there and figure out what happened with the clerk of courts. It will likely require a court appearance and reinstatement fees, with the dmv and court. Then you can straighten it out with CT.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
How did you pay your fine? Do you have a receipt or at least a bank record showing the payment? I'm guessing that you didn't pay cash.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
By the way, the only way to get this resolved is to get it resolved in NY. Connecticut will do NOTHING unless they have proof that the situation in NY is resolved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">