• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out Of State DUI - waiting for state to report

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tiger131

I got a DUI in VA and happened to move to NY in the interim, prior to my conviction. I obtained a NY driver's license legally (I still had a valid license which I turned into NY) and it's been almost a year and NY has still not said anything about this. I assumed VA would report the conviction and I'd eventually hear from NY regarding suspension/punishment since I know both are DL Compact states. What happens if I've completed everything for the VA courts (which I have - and did classes/VIP in NY) and the year of suspension is up? Will I still have to face NY suspension when I go to renew my license (in 4 years) if VA never reports this?

Tiger131

Have your driving privileges been restored in VA or has the time for the suspension simply expired?
No not yet.. the time of suspension hasn't quite expired but it's getting close. I thought for sure it would catch up to me in NY at some point over the year..

When the suspention period is over, bring all of your papper work showing that you completed everything and pay the resoration fee. Then it will be done and over with.
Hope you have learned that if you drink - you can not drive.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">