• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Owi I And Owi Ii

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shedevil_36

What is the name of your state? IN
August 18 I was in a car accident where I hit a parked vehicle (no one was in it). I was prescribed valume by my doctor for depression, and I took my last pill for that day approximately 2 hours before I got in an arguement with my b/f, so I took 2 swigs of Vodka (couldn't tell you what that amount accumulated to) after this things kind of were a blur to me. I only remember bits and pieces of what happened.
What I do remember is that he left, and shortly after that I left (I do remember that). Next thing I remember I am trying to get out of my car where an EMT was telling me that I had been in an accident and to sit still. I was taken to the hospital and them released to my b/f.
August 23 there was a knock on my door and 2 Porter County sherrifs waiting to arrest me for 2 counts of OWI (1 a class A and the other a class C). I sat in jail for 12 hours before they booked me and my b/f could get me out.
My question is, I am going to school and I work midnights. I was told by the sherrif that I was suspended as of the date of arrest. I have yet to receive anything from the license bureau stating that I am suspended, and I have been walking home after my classes every day. Fortunately, where I work is the same university as I go to school. Because of this I am spending anywhere from 14 to 18 hours at this place every day because I have no way home except for to walk (which is a 5 mile walk one way). From things that I have read on line, I shouldn't be suspended until I go to court. Is this true? I also had full coverage car insurance at the time of the accident, and from what I have read, it states that I will have to pay restitution. Isn't that something that my insurance should cover? Also, I have been trying to find out how to get a hardship license, and was told to go to the clerks office that they deal with that (was told by a law student), and when I went there they said they don't deal with that, that I would have to go to the library to investigate it myself. If I'm not a lawyer, how do I do this?
This is my first offense, I have never been arrested before, had a speeding ticket approx. 17 yrs ago and that's pretty much it. I am lost cause everywhere I turn, the door is shut in my face. I can't afford an attorney because I am getting ready to go through bankruptcy, so I don't know what to do. Any advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

BigMistakeFl

BigMistakeFl

I was pretty sure doctors were no longer prescribing valium for depression. But since yours did and here you are, I know you already know how bad your choices were on that day of your accident.

There are two sides to your case, the court side and the DMV side. Your license was administratively suspended for 180 days when you were arrested. You may apply for a "hardship license" thirty days after the administrative suspension. This hardship license is not done through the court, rather an administrative office of the DMV. You'll have to research this further and probably make some phone calls until you get resolution. Indiana has a deferment program for first offenders, but not sure if you will qualify since you were involved in an accident, regardless of injury or not.

If I were you, I'd find a way to hire a qualified DUI defense attorney. If you can provide proof of financial need, you may qualify for a public defender, but as they say, "You get what you pay for".

Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">