• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PA ARD Interview

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

paguy88

What is the name of your state? PA

My neighbor got nabbed for DUI in the summer first timer.. his arrigment and ARD interview is friday.

Anyone know what the interview is like and what goes on in it?

Thanks

needadvice1963

What county are you in? I recently went thru the process, the arraignment was pretty much cut and dry. If the record is clean, and the arresting officer has no objection, then ARD is a good bet.
Some advice based upon what I went thru. If the record is clean, don't waste money on a lawyer. Truly a waste of money.
Doesn't matter what the circumstances are as far as being pulled over, if you blow over the limit, its going to stick.
Be prepared for a long wait. It took almost a year from the time of the incident until I lost my license.
Be careful of where you go for your dui evaluation. The "national chains" will automatically devise a treatment plan that last just as long as your insurance will cover it, no matter if you need it or not.
Check before you go to dui court as far as the length of the license suspension. I was going to get 60 days due to a dui with accident , because a witness said I backed into a car, which did not happen. I had to take care of this myself with the DA, where it was reduced to 30 days. Like I said, don't waste your money on a lawyer.
Given all this, I deserve what I got and have learned quite a lesson thru the whole thing. A cab fare is worth forgoing the hassle of a dui or even worse hurting someone.

FlyingRon

The ARD interview pretty much gets personal information (unrelated to this case) about you: where you work, where you live, who lives with you, etc...

paguy88

What county are you in? I recently went thru the process, the arraignment was pretty much cut and dry. If the record is clean, and the arresting officer has no objection, then ARD is a good bet.
Some advice based upon what I went thru. If the record is clean, don't waste money on a lawyer. Truly a waste of money.
Doesn't matter what the circumstances are as far as being pulled over, if you blow over the limit, its going to stick.
Be prepared for a long wait. It took almost a year from the time of the incident until I lost my license.
Be careful of where you go for your dui evaluation. The "national chains" will automatically devise a treatment plan that last just as long as your insurance will cover it, no matter if you need it or not.
Check before you go to dui court as far as the length of the license suspension. I was going to get 60 days due to a dui with accident , because a witness said I backed into a car, which did not happen. I had to take care of this myself with the DA, where it was reduced to 30 days. Like I said, don't waste your money on a lawyer.
Given all this, I deserve what I got and have learned quite a lesson thru the whole thing. A cab fare is worth forgoing the hassle of a dui or even worse hurting someone.
my buddy lives in Alleghney county..

he got hit with 12.5 track one class

and 12 hrs of couceling called Track II....

he was complaining... I told him how about taking the 48 hrs in jail instead

That shut him up..

HAHA

pie8ter1

I was pulled over for DUI at a check point in PA in 1999. I went through ARD program. I wasn't asked any question or anything. I've went to the court and the judge told me that I am placed on ARD.

Speaking of ARD, I completed all my ARD requirments in 2001 and expunged my court records. If I go to county court or state police website and search for my record, it comes up saying "no record". But PennDOT has the "ARD-DUI" record on my driver's history.

When I was accepted into ARD in 1999, the agreement form said penndot will keep the record for 7 years and will remove it. But is over 7 years now. When I pull my 10 years driving history, pennDot still shows the record. What can I do?

The new PA law enacted in Feb 1, 2004 regarding the ARD-DUI record on driver's record doesn't retroactively apply to my situation. The new law authorizes penndot to keep the record for 10 years. Does anyone successfully challenged pennDot on this? I guess I can wait another three more years, but I don't want this record come and bite my rear end if I seek new employment.

Case law: MMM vs. PennDot
MMM successfully challenged and expunged his/her record from penndot along with few other people based on the 7 years rule. The attorney who handled this case was from Chester county and I wonder if he still practices law in PA.

Thanks

Last edited:

paguy88

When I was accepted into ARD in 1999, the agreement form said penndot will keep the record for 7 years and will remove it. But is over 7 years now. When I pull my 10 years driving history, pennDot still shows the record. What can I do?

I know the anwser to this the change was in effect because PA pushed ARD from 7 too 10 years...

if before I think 04 you have to contact Penn Dot and formally ask them to have it removed...

how much did your insurance go up for ARD and for how long? Usually a dui convition will 3X your insurance in PA for 3 years.... I am thinking the same time fram would be in place but the insurace increase would not be 3X.... what happened too you?

BTW congrats on taking advantage of the program and not making the same bad judgement again.

Last edited:

pie8ter1

Thanks..

I think DUI is a big bureaucracy. It isn't stopping the real drunks on the street. I won't get sucked into it again. We have a PA state senator Jane Orie who comes up with a DUI bill, at least, once a year and gets her name on the news.

Speaking of my insurance, I must be really lucky. Because my insurance has never gone up right after ARD. I'm guessing they didn't check my record at that time. In fact, it went down considerably this year. The things to keep in mind are don't get into accidents and don't get any moving violation. I've been with my insurance company for almost 15 years. With the exception of my ARD-DUI, I have no other records records in my driver's history. I guess it also depend on the insurance agency too.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">