• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PA ARD with VA license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

whess

I got a DUI in PA and will most likely get ARD with a 30 day suspension. I live in Virginia and am wondering what will happen to my license in Virginia?

whess

I understand it will be suspended, I'm wondering for how long? A first time offense in VA is 1 year suspension for a DUI conviction. Will it follow VA law or PA ARD (30 days)? I've heard that ARD is not a conviction, it is probation. That makes me wonder if VA would give me 1 year of suspension.

FlyingRon

It's a DMV thing. They will suspend you in Virginia when they hear you are suspended elsewhere. When you get reinstated there, you can then go and get reinstated in Virginia.

In actuality, you'll likely to be done in less than 30 days because it takes a while for the word to filter down from state to state to trigger the suspension (but you can get reinstated pretty quickly once you get your ducks in a row).

BigMistakeFl

VA law

And you are 100% sure about this? Is there a VA law that says that?
It's the PA law you need to think about as that is where you broke the law. VA will be notified and concur with the PA suspension.

paguy88

PA is suspending you privlage to drive in PA....

Not VA... they can not do this as they did not issue your DL.

However, The interesting part here is what will VA do?

You need to contact a lawyer or possibly the DMV and ask...

WIll VA eventually suspend your DL? I don't know

Will VA put anything on your driver record? Don't know that one either.

I can tell you in PA a first time convition for DUI in a state other than PA.... Penn Dot will not suspend your drivers licenese but some state will just depends.

you need to look into this

FlyingRon

PA GUY? IF you don't know, why do you post? I gave the answer as to what happens here in the Commonwealth of Virginia.

paguy88

PA GUY? IF you don't know, why do you post? I gave the answer as to what happens here in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
didn't see your post...:eek:

people think that the home state always suspends for a 1st dui in another state and some do not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">