+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    Penalty for contributing alcohol to a minor?

    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

    I received a citation yesterday for furnishing alcohol to a minor. I have a clean record, no prior arrests or convictions. What kind of penalties am I looking at?

    Am I realistically facing any jail time?

    Thaks for the input.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Realistically facing jail time? Its hard to say. Technically you are absolutely facing jailtime because the charge is a class A misdemeanor with a range of punishment from anywhere up to a year in jail or two years probation and/or a $4,000 fine.

    Realistically, these cases often get plead way down but it depends on your jurisdiction because some DA's offices take this more seriously than others, and some have more pressure from TABC for mandatory jail time...even if its just a few days. I have seen some offices have a 10 day minimum jail sentence while others simply dismiss if you take the TABC alcohol awareness class.

    So... what county are you in?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Also, was it a straightforward situation as you described, or were other factors involved (car accidents, hospitalization, deaths) due to the alcohol provided? The entirety of the situation may affect the DA's handling of the case.

  4. #4
    I am in college station (brazos county). There were no arrests or injuries. We were just spotted by the TABC in the parking lot of specs. Do you know if brazos county is strict or do they just want money?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    I don't know if Brazos County is liberal on this type of crime but since this is a college town my thoughts are that they are in fact very liberal. Usually people charged with this crime are the subjects of sting operations also. They have a minor go into a store and try to buy alcohol and the entire transaction is either video or audio recorded. These are the types of cases where DA's offices may have a set policy on punishment since they typically have pretty irrefutable evidence. Since this is not the case with yours I'd think there's be more room for negotiation.

    Really all you can do is go to court and see what the State's offer is. It might be to reduce to a class C with a fine and if so its hard to pass that up. Having an attorney will always help.

  6. #6
    Thanks for the advice.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    What happened in court? Did you get an attorney?

  8. #8
    I hired a lawyer.

    I got a $1500 fine, $383 in court costs, 6 months probation, and 120 hours of community service.

    All of that plus lawyer fees cost over $3K

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Contributing Alcohol to Minor but I didn't provide!
    By DillonA in forum Other Crimes – Federal and State
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-07-2009, 03:06 PM
  2. Contributing to a minor alcohol
    By SallyJJ in forum Juvenile Law
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-20-2008, 11:26 AM
  3. Contributing to Minor with alcohol
    By Jbratch34 in forum Drunk Driving / DUI / DWI
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-18-2008, 11:39 PM
  4. Contributing alcohol to minors
    By Trvsh5 in forum Arrests, Searches, Warrants & Procedure
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-04-2008, 01:17 PM
  5. contributing to a minor (alcohol)
    By lisaramey in forum Other Crimes – Federal and State
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-13-2008, 11:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

© Since 1995 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.