• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

poor college student - arizona dui - missed court date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wolfoholic

Arizona:

i am 22 yo
on march 22 i got a dui .108 and .114 were the breathalyzer readings
i did not commit to any such offense.

i contacted a lawyer a friend recommended but since i am a college student with a 20 hour a week job i dont make 10000 a year to pay the guy ...

anyway he gave me some advice like to take a letter to the dvm that says i request a hearing. i thought this would set up a new hearing other than the court hearing listed on my papers i got by the police. so i requested this hearing.

just last week i got a letter saying my driving privilege is suspended for not attending the court date.
what are my next steps what should i do?

what part is unclear and needs more info.

thanks

w

sandyclaus

Arizona:

i am 22 yo
on march 22 i got a dui .108 and .114 were the breathalyzer readings
i did not commit to any such offense.

i contacted a lawyer a friend recommended but since i am a college student with a 20 hour a week job i dont make 10000 a year to pay the guy ...

anyway he gave me some advice like to take a letter to the dvm that says i request a hearing. i thought this would set up a new hearing other than the court hearing listed on my papers i got by the police. so i requested this hearing.

just last week i got a letter saying my driving privilege is suspended for not attending the court date.
what are my next steps what should i do?

what part is unclear and needs more info.

thanks

w
Your driving privileges were suspended for failing to show in court. What's hard to understand about that?

Your alleged inability to pay an attorney didn't keep you from showing up at your hearing. If you had shown up, without representation, you could have requested a public defender at least for that hearing. That you chose not to show up at all is why they took your license away. You may well have an arrest warrant now for your failure to appear.

The DMV can't help you here. The only way to get back your driving privilege is to deal with the mess you made by answering your charges before the court. I suggest that you figure out a way to get that done - ASAP.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You also need to show up because you now have a warrant for failure to appear. Congrats. Those drinks are going to prove mighty expensive. Don't look at driving any time soon.

wolfoholic

Your driving privileges were suspended for failing to show in court. What's hard to understand about that?

Your alleged inability to pay an attorney didn't keep you from showing up at your hearing. If you had shown up, without representation, you could have requested a public defender at least for that hearing. That you chose not to show up at all is why they took your license away. You may well have an arrest warrant now for your failure to appear.

The DMV can't help you here. The only way to get back your driving privilege is to deal with the mess you made by answering your charges before the court. I suggest that you figure out a way to get that done - ASAP.
yea i know i screwed that up it was a misunderstanding between me and advice i got from a lawyer. is there a smooth way to get me out of this mess or am i just screwed?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You screwed yourself, pal. First by drinking and driving and then by not showing up for court.

Only one entity at fault here and it ain't the DMV.

dave33

You also need to show up because you now have a warrant for failure to appear. Congrats. Those drinks are going to prove mighty expensive. Don't look at driving any time soon.
In many states showing up for this hearing is not mandatory and a warrant is not issued for not showing up.

It seems you always grasp for the negative. Lighten' up.

Antigone*

yea i know i screwed that up it was a misunderstanding between me and advice i got from a lawyer. is there a smooth way to get me out of this mess or am i just screwed?

So, get yourself down to the courthouse and take whatever steps are necessary to rectify the situation. Don't blame anyone else for what is happening to you. It is all on the "poor" college student. You know the one that writes like an 8th grader:rolleyes:

...not poor enough to drink, huh...:rolleyes:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
In many states showing up for this hearing is not mandatory and a warrant is not issued for not showing up.

The OP was vague. That way that *I* read the OP was that he missed his court date - the one listed on the ticket - because he thought the hearing he had requested replaced the one on the ticket. If that is the case, then it is very likely that a warrant has been issued for the OP.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

A court date for OVI is mandatory. If he missed that he has a warrant. Seems like you seem to miss the point. Catch it one time. OP himself states that he missed the court date.

dave33

A court date for OVI is mandatory. If he missed that he has a warrant. Seems like you seem to miss the point. Catch it one time. OP himself states that he missed the court date.
I suspect if a warrant was issued for the missed date, than the letter would also indicate a warrant on top of the suspended license. Since the o.p. was unclear we will not know unless he replies. I think I get the point.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I suspect if a warrant was issued for the missed date, than the letter would also indicate a warrant...
The DMV would have nothing to do with the issuance of a warrant. The DMV would notify about the suspended license and would have no concern whatsoever about any warrant issued.

dave33

The DMV would have nothing to do with the issuance of a warrant. The DMV would notify about the suspended license and would have no concern whatsoever about any warrant issued.
My point exactly. I was saying as everyone else can tell that this probably has nothing to do with a warrant. Di you even bother to read the previous posts? Although only the o.p. knows for sure.

The dmv has never had anything to do with the issuance of a warrant? Never ? Wow, you know everything about every case in Arizona that has dealings with the dmv.

OHRoadwarrior

My point exactly. I was saying as everyone else can tell that this probably has nothing to do with a warrant. Di you even bother to read the previous posts? Although only the o.p. knows for sure.

The dmv has never had anything to do with the issuance of a warrant? Never ? Wow, you know everything about every case in Arizona that has dealings with the dmv.
So he commits a misdemeanor, does not show for his hearing, which makes 2 misdemeanors and you think the court is not going to issue a warrant? Have you been using recreational MJ in AZ already?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">