• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possession of alcohol under 21

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LPF

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I'm sorry if I'm not posting in the right section, but anyways, here is my problem :

I am an exchange student from France studying in Virginia for one year. I was caught last Thursday night with a can of beer in my hand, going back to my dorm by foot. I am 19 years old, so in violation with the Code of Virginia.

I know this isn't an excuse but I had just arrived in the US, and I wasn't aware that law was enforced as strictly over here, though I was aware the legal age for drinking is 21.

The police officer came to my door this morning and issued me a warrant for possession of alcohol. I have to go to Court on September 10th.

I have no idea of how the legal system works in the US, but the police officer told me I could plaid guilty and get out with a "First Time Offender" thing (it is the first time ever I was arrested by the police in the US, and I have never had any problems in France either). I will certainly have to pay a fine, right ?

Can someone give me advice on this case, please ? I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">