• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible 15 Year Old OUI Charge In Maine

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

grieder

What is the name of your state? Maine

I currently live in CA and have had a valid license for the last 15 years. It has actually been renewed three times without a problem. Today I received a notice that my CA license is being suspended for an OUI that occurred in ME 15 years ago. I don't even remember if the OUI was on a ME issued license or CA. I also never went to court on the charges. From what I recall, I spoke with an attorney and said this case will never stick. Too many mistakes on the PD's part and the breathalizer was inconclusive. I was in the middle of a terrible divorce and just didn't care so I left and moved back to CA and never heard another thing about it.
I have been unable to get through to the Maine courts and the DMV to get an idea of what is going to happen.
Any ideas out there?

grieder

15 Year Old OUI Charge in Maine

Forgot to mention, I'm not even sure the DA ever even filed the charges...or does the fact that
this is happening mean the charges were filed?

BigMistakeFl

BigMistakeFl

It sounds as if you left and never dealt with the charges or the penalties, and now it's come back to haunt you. I'd be surfing for a good DUI defense attorney in ME right now, if I were you.

grieder

15 Year Old OUI Charge in Maine

Thanks for your input but the courts have dismissed the charges. Just found that out this morning. The BMV however, said they are separate and can do as they wish regardless if the judge dismissed the charges. They stated I had 10 days after the arrest to contest with an administrative hearing back in '92. Does anyone know if that was in fact the law, or rules back then?

sjmjuly

That sounds correct. Most states have some administrative law after a DUI arrest. Most are 10 days.
I am not sure about this, but maybe all you need to do now is pay a reinstatement fee to the DMV. If the DUI charges were dismissed and you were never convicted, maybe just paying a reinstatement is all you need to do. Not sure though - Just an idea. It's worth at least asking about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">